Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Winchester SXP W/Tru Glo SSX .643 choke "open for suggestions''

Started by btmonnat, April 03, 2013, 08:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btmonnat

Best I can get out of this Win. SXP 24'' invector + barrel is 75 hits in 10'' circle @ 40 yards measured. This was using win. supreme's 3'' or 3 1/2''# 6's. I got the same #'s with either shell. I also tried 3'' turkey thugs in #6's and got 70 hits. I wish I could get a little better #'s. I wonder if I am a little to tight. The choke is .643 cons. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

nyhunter

Do you have a full,X full that came with the gun when you bought it? If so I'd try that just to compare.

btmonnat

I have a extra full that came with it was not tight at all.

ILIKEHEVI-13

You need a .670 to .675 more than likely for optimum patterns.  I would try some Hevi-13 #7's. 

Ded Goblr

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on April 03, 2013, 09:19:27 PM
You need a .670 to .675 more than likely for optimum patterns.  I would try some Hevi-13 #7's.
X2. I think lead would work well with those choke constrictions as well... Maybe a IC BDS..

WyoHunter

I'm shooting a Mark Bansner TruGlo choke (TG155) in my Beretta M303 with Hevi-13 7's. It patterns very well - 220 at 40 yds. The pattern is very even with no holes. Best patterning choke in my Beretta!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

btmonnat

Anyone on here think a .670 Primos Jellyhead would be a good choice with win. supreme 6's. I would like to stay with the #6 shot because I have a lot of the supreme's and turkey thug's. Are there better choice's out there. The general opinion here is my .643 might be to tight for the 24'' barrel.

knightrider

i have same gun with ic 665 and it does great with thug #6 135-140 in ten with very even 20 num

allaboutshooting

Quote from: btmonnat on April 03, 2013, 08:57:26 PM
Best I can get out of this Win. SXP 24'' invector + barrel is 75 hits in 10'' circle @ 40 yards measured. This was using win. supreme's 3'' or 3 1/2''# 6's. I got the same #'s with either shell. I also tried 3'' turkey thugs in #6's and got 70 hits. I wish I could get a little better #'s. I wonder if I am a little to tight. The choke is .643 cons. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Just a couple of thoughts and questions. You are shooting at "big paper" and counting the best 10" pattern, correct? Have you "deep cleaned" the bore of your gun? Browning/Winchester recommends a .642 exit diameter turkey choke for their Invector+ barrels, like the one on your gun, so that choke should not be too tight.

How do the patterns that you are getting look? The numbers are low and it can certainly be more difficult to get good numbers with short barrels but are you getting even patterns or do they have large gaps?

Lastly, how many shells have you fired and at what temperature(s)? Low temperatures will many times produce less dense patterns than just a few degrees higher.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

BPShunter

I got 186 in a 10" at 40 yards using my scoped SXP with a jellyhead and 3.5 Hevi-13 Magnum Blends.  I throws a nice even pattern.  I've got some straight 7s to try and improve my numbers. 

BPShunter

btmonnat

I have deep cleaned the barrel at least 2 times. I am using a 40'' square paper and placing the 10'' circle where I get the most holes. My pattern actually is quite even. Every time I have tried it the wind was calm but it has been early in the morning. It has been between 30 - 40 degrees when I shoot. I think I might wait for warmer weather that  may help. If not I might try a .665 or .670 choke.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: btmonnat on April 04, 2013, 05:51:04 PM
I have deep cleaned the barrel at least 2 times. I am using a 40'' square paper and placing the 10'' circle where I get the most holes. My pattern actually is quite even. Every time I have tried it the wind was calm but it has been early in the morning. It has been between 30 - 40 degrees when I shoot. I think I might wait for warmer weather that  may help. If not I might try a .665 or .670 choke.

Patterns will be less dense, by quite a bit, in 30-40 degree weather than in warmer weather. An even pattern is much more important than one with any particular number. Those pellets are going somewhere and your fringe 20" pattern is probably much better. You might want to take a look at that.

Thanks,
Clark

ILIKEHEVI-13

Most of all the choke makers for Browning/Win Invector Plus barrels will make their turkey chokes in either .675 or .670.  That is just about perfect from what I have seen in the Browning Gold that I owned.  That includes Indian Creek, Haymaker, Pure Gold, Jelly Head to just top off some of the good ones. 

btmonnat

I took a 20'' measurement on my target and actually I do not have that many holes outside. The pattern is really even. I do not think you could place a turkeys head on the 20'' circle anywhere that it would not get hit with some pellets. I guess I have looked at to many impressive shot #'s in 10'' circle on here and neglected to look at my overall pattern. That being said I think I am very happy with my set up. Turkey season here is only 3 weeks away. This is my first season so it will be a learning experience. Came home from work today and there were 3 gobblers less than 30 yards from my back porch. I want to send out thank you to all especially ''allaboutshooting'' for the good advice on this particular gun.

allaboutshooting

Good luck this spring. Please let us know how your season goes.

Thanks,
Clark