turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looking for Buckeye Burl.....for....

Started by J Hook, April 03, 2013, 07:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Hook

Howdy Gents.I want to have my Bowyer construct a new Recurve for me, with a Buckeye Burl riser, and possibly some Lams to go along with it.Can anyone here that stabilizes this wood, sell me a riser piece?It would need to be 1.5"x4"x16" rough.Also would need 4 laminations 32"in length.Not sure on the thickness, i would buy a piece ,that would allow him to get the lams out of it.Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction?
Many Thanks!

lightsoutcalls

Contact the folks at this link:

http://www.burlcountry.com/

I would talk to them about your intended purpose for the wood.  Although it might look great as a laminate on the outside of the riser, I would question it's strength even once it was stabilized.  I may be completely wrong, but I would not trust it under that kind of pressure. 
Although I have never made a bow, I do know that certain grain structures are preferred.  I can assure you that buckeye burl does not have a grain structure anything like hickory or osage orange, which I know are frequently used in bowmaking.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

ol bob

Buckeye is about as strong as a sponge and i am sure you would not stabilize a sponge and make bow limbs out of it.

Austy

I have made a few recurve bows myself and I have to agree with Wendell that it might be bust used from some inlays in the riser but for the entire piece it probably will not hold up to the abuse, just my opinion.

J Hook