turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Finally got a SC gobbler today

Started by mtsrunner, April 03, 2013, 05:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtsrunner

I hunted all day Monday and only saw two Jakes and only heard one bird gobble.
Went back today and hunted from dark until 11:30 and only saw 6 hens and heard zero gobbles.
I decided to go back to the truck and eat lunch then moved to a different hunting area.
At 12:40 I set up in a pine thicket looking in to a clover field. I almost decided to set up my hammock and take a nap for a couple of hours, but I decided to call a little just in case.

I gave a series of yelps from a Woodhaven V3 and was greeted with one gobble from an oak ridge to my left about 200 yards from the pine thicket.

I didn't call again.

About 10 minutes later, I thought I heard something. I could see movement to my left through the pines. There were three birds coming, but I wasn't sure they were mature. Once I was able to identify the first one as a big Tom, I waited just for the second one to step in to the same little opening. One shot at 39 yards put him down.

19lbs 12oz. 10" beard, 1 1/8" spurs.

Gear included 12 ga T/C Encore with 20" barrel, Kick's GT .665 choke, 3" Hevi 13 Magnum Blend shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrowningGuy88

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

captin_hook

AUDoubleBeard

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Gawhitaker

Way to go! Confrats on a good bird

alloutdoors

Shakey Jake

Rio Fan

boomer

Publicland

tomstopper

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase