OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tom vs Jake decoy?

Started by wisconsinteacher, March 07, 2011, 11:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

I have a Jake Mobile and my dad has a full strutting decoy. (I don't remember which one but it is nice)  What one would you use if you were to use one?  We hunt mostly ag fields so we like to use decoys.  Which is better? 

mmusso

I own and have used both. I've had better luck with Jake Mobile over the fullsize B-Mobile.

Reloader

I've used a jake decoy at times for several years when hunting fields.  Last year I bought a strutter for field hunting in Texas and it was ok.  I'm going to switch back to the jake by a hen or two this season if I hunt fields.  The strutter will spook some toms away.  I feel it's probably great for a dominate tom, but will spook the birds that have been getting their tail kicked.  Even with dominate toms it seems they will come twds the jake decoy strutting their stuff like usual, but when they realize it's a jake, they run in to whip some tail and take the ladies. I've called some henned up toms off the ladies with a jake decoy next to a feeding hen decoy.

Most of the time it's best to go without decoys, but in an area where they can see them from a long way, it can be golden.

Reloader

TauntoHawk

I think a Jake has a higher % of working. I'm gonna try using my bow this year so i will use decoys a lot more than I have previously

Run a Jake and 2 hen set
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gobble!

I the past I have used b-monile with a real jake fan
this year I will be using the DSD strutter with a real jake fan
don't know if it really helps but it never hurt anything

hookedspur

Quote from: mmusso on March 07, 2011, 11:50:05 AM
I own and have used both. I've had better luck with Jake Mobile over the fullsize B-Mobile.
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

sugarray

I had 2 experiences last year that caused me to change my thinking:

#1:  Was out on youth day and my friend stated and showed me pics of a tom with 5-7 hens in his field.  He said they were there every day.  So, out we go with his son.  We are in a blind, tucked back into a down fall.  I put my Jake-mobile out with the jake fan up.  Put an upright hen on the ground, him about a yard behind, then another upright out.  I am going after this boss.  Well, he didn't show, but a wanderer did come in.  He stopped at about 75 yds and looked things over real good before heading up the hill and away from us.

#2:  2 days later I was hunting a boss that looked like he had 2 in spurs.  I saw him at 40 yds through my binocs.  Boy was I salivating over this guy.  Same set up as above.  Heard a gobble, called, gobble and closer.  So I was getting ready.  Finally see him about 60 yds away and he stops at 72 yds (I'm in my blind hiding from the rain and could use the range finder).  Same thing he is real leery.  I kept using soft clucks and purrs.  After about an hour standoff he finally struts, gobbles, eases his way to 38 yds and I let him have it.

Based on these 2 experiences I will not put my tail up.  Yeah, I might be hunting the dominant, but I don't want to scare those 2 yr olds that have been whipped away either.

So, Jake-mobile with a real fan, feathers cut to make look like a jake, and in the straight back position.

bowhunter84

Quote from: mmusso on March 07, 2011, 11:50:05 AM

X2

tomdown#4

I have seen both decoys work, however, I prefer Jake Mobile as he is small and less intemidating. Two of my friends have actually had gobblers run away when they saw B-mobile.

wisconsinteacher

So Sugarray, you put the tail horizontal with the ground and not upright like he is strutting?  I have had good luck with Jake.  Last year had two nice toms come in but both were misses.  My dad has used the tom and killed a few birds with it.  We were talking about them yesterday and were trying to figure out who's was the best.  Keep the info coming.

vaturkey

These two DSD decoys are the ones I use. I have seen too many longbeards run from a big strutter but I have never seen a longbeard run from this jake. The first thing he will do when he sees the jake ,is go right to him & take him out. I have had gobblers come from over 300 yds to these decoys. IMO ,they are the best  !!     :newmascot:
Vaturkey

st4wheel

Those dsd"s dont collapse do they? I just hate to have to carry em around in my arms like I just won em at the fair! LOL
LIMBHANGER

vaturkey

Quote from: st4wheel on March 07, 2011, 03:34:33 PM
Those dsd"s dont collapse do they? I just hate to have to carry em around in my arms like I just won em at the fair! LOL

No they do not collapse. BUT , carrying  a BIG GOBBLER out the woods is more fun than being at the fair. Customgunsocks makes camo bags for these decoys.     :newmascot:
Vaturkey

neal

Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck