OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Here's Why I Like Hevi-13 #7's

Started by ILIKEHEVI-13, April 03, 2013, 03:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borden811

Killing turkey isn't about "knockdown power". It's about breaking the skull and vertebrae. More penetration+more pellets on target=more broken bones. Give me the 7s any day.

darn2ten

Quote from: Daman on April 04, 2013, 04:12:54 PM
Quote from: darn2ten on April 04, 2013, 02:59:46 PM
Theres no doubt they'll kill turkeys at 40 yds., I've killed multiple birds with hevi 7's. However I do not believe they pack the punch of other loads. I've went back to #5 lead, simply because from my experience out to 40 yds. with a good patterning gun #5's flat out smash turkeys. None of the birds I ever shot with hevi 7's were hit with comparable energy that lead #5's did at comparable yardages. To me, this only makes since. Lead has a tendency to squish or flatten out somewhat when it hits something there for expending its energy on that object. Htl is much harder, which helps it penetrate but not expend much energy. Now take those hevi 7's doing 1090 fps and compare that to a load of #5 lead doing 1300 fps. Like I said, these are my observations and opinions. With that said, we all know what they say about opinions! One thing is for sure, for factory loads they are no doubt the king of paper killers.

That is why I shoot Hevi 6's! They smash turkeys! I am long time believer in Lead 5's and if I buy Win HV I will buy 5's, but all my blue/gold Fed's are 6's.
I agree with the hevi 6's, a few more pellets ain't worth the energy trade off to me. Really it comes down to every time I pull the trigger it being 1 to 2 dollars vs. 5 to 6 dollars for there to be no true noticeable difference in 99% of most hunting situations. If it was strictly just a shell every now and then for a bird its no big deal, but I like to test, tinker, and hang out at the pattern board to much to justify the cost or any benefits of htl. I've probably shot around 75 or 80 turkey loads out of multiple guns this year, hate to think what the cost would have been if that was all hevi, a few were.

teke

Those Win HV 1300 fps shells kick harder then any shell i have ever tried. They never really patterned that good for me, so there punishment wasn't worth it. I'll stick with H13 3.5/2.25 #7's

darn2ten

Quote from: teke on April 04, 2013, 04:45:35 PM
Those Win HV 1300 fps shells kick harder then any shell i have ever tried. They never really patterned that good for me, so there punishment wasn't worth it. I'll stick with H13 3.5/2.25 #7's
Well those HV wins. never patterned that good for me either, but the turkey thugs do. I pattern all my guns off a lead sled, and when your shooting at a turkey I really doubt your going to notice the difference in recoil from one shell to the next anyway.

chatterbox

I have made the switch to the Hevi-13 #7 because in the 20" non-polished barrel, it is a struggle for me to get the numbers I would like in the 10" circle. I have tried a ton of loads and chokes, and when I test under real hunting conditions weatherwise, my numbers are not great. I switched to the 3-2-7 hevi's, and I am now getting numbers and patterns that I am very, very happy with. I can shoot the 3" shell without the punishing recoil and vicious muzzle whip that can destroy patterns and accuracy.
I did not buy the #7's to extend my killing range beyond 40 yards. Personally, I feel 40 yards is a long walk, and I would much rather kill them at 30.
Those 7's are still packing a good punch, and if I respect and hold firm to the 40 yard and under rule, I have zero doubt these shells will do thier job as long as I do mine. 

teke

velocity ='s recoil thats for sure

ILIKEHEVI-13

I use to shoot lead 5's.  I prefer the Hevi-13 #7's. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Big Gun on April 04, 2013, 12:00:15 PM
The two turkeys in my avatar we shot on Saturday.  Both were shot at 32-34 yards, one was shot with a 3.5" 4x5x7 Nitro blend, BPS, Rhino tube and the other with a 3" hevi metal straight 7, 935, hevi metal tube.  The straight 7 turkey hit the ground and hardly twitched, the Nitro turkey flopped and flopped.  Both were shot with scoped guns off sand bags.  Made a beliver out of me.

Spreaad the word bro. 

bigdale

Those are awesome patterns for sure. I will shoot the hevishot #7's as long as they are available.