OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Smiling 14yr old

Started by Capt. Tom, April 03, 2013, 01:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. Tom

You couldn't wipe the smile off the boys face after this mornings hunt.

A neighbor boy from up near my hunt club called me up yesterday to ask me if i would come call a turkey in for him. He had been trying all season and just couldn't pull it together. I headed up there and we gave them a try.
Set up on a pair of longbeards that gobbled on the limb but flew down with about 15 hens and went quiet about 15 minutes on the ground. When I told him there wasn't much more we could do you could feel the wind go out of his sail. He said, "I really thought we would get them with you here". I felt aweful and quickly told him, let's go somewhere else, maybe we can find one. We pulled up to the next track of land and started walking down a dirt path along side some mature thinned pines. It was open underneath and just looked right for a bird. Our first set of calls went unanswered. We got near the back where it dropped down into a branch and I hit the call and had one of those "was that a gobble" moments. Waited a few minutes and hit the call again, and the bird had gone from just barely able to hear him to, oh hell, we have got to sit down now. Bird started gobbling on his own but then a hen started raising hell from my right side and was quickly heading to the gobbler. I started calling like crazy trying to get him to us before she got to him and he would cut off every call I made, double and triple gobbling. I saw the gobbler first as he came in from my side. I had the safety off and the little red dot of death on his neck but didn't have the heart to drop the hammer. Bird walked right past me and met the hen 35 yds in front of little man! He laid him out. My man could hardly go to the bird he was shaking so bad!!! It was absolutely awesome. Whole hunt was only probably 10 minutes but the bird must have gobbled 50 times.  It has been an awesome season that keeps getting better.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

heathwesley

Awesome!!!  Aint much better than that.

DirtNap647

congrats to him great job

tomstopper

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Muzzy61

Congratulations to the young man, and hat's off to you for going and making a memory he will never forget.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

boomer

spur collector

Congrats it don't get any better than that

catman529

that's awesome I love seeing kids with their birds, sounds like a great hunt too.

steveo

Picture says it all ! well done ! 

stinkpickle

Mike Honcho

Thats a great read and photo Capt. Tom!  You almost feel like you are right there in the woods with that young man.  Tell him congratulations from an old turkey hunter in Kansas!  I had a similar day this Monday with my grandson...he had that same grin!   You've just become a legendary turkey caller to him!