OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cedar Pot ????

Started by Treeninja, April 03, 2013, 08:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeninja

I just turned a handful of cedar pots, and I was wondering if any of you call makers have ever left the outside unfinished. What I mean is just don't clear the outside, I guess you would want to do the inside for sound reasons. But they are so smooooth and smell soooo nice that I was thinking about leaving the outside uncleared. Whats your thoughts on this???

justturnin

I am not sure about he pots and finishes but if you left them raw the buyer could rub them with Cedar Oil to bring the smell back if they wanted or just a light sanding.  I guess that would be a pretty sweet scent mask.
Chris B
Klein, TX
Home of the Yin-Yang Custom Cast Call.  PM me for details

M,Yingling

I would say put oil on outside and leave in side un finished for the smell ,,,sending them out to someone unfinished I wouldn't do  ,,,or if you plan on keeping for yourself leave unfinished
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

lightsoutcalls

Wood is succeptible to absorbing moisture, skin oils, grit, etc.  If left unfinished, I would think after a few uses, the call would look pretty nasty.  If you like the smell of cedar, hang one of those cedar "drawer eggs" around your neck on a lanyard.  ;D ( Just messing with you...)
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

WillowRidgeCalls

Cedar is like a sponge with moisture, it would change color fast and the grain would raise and become very rough, it would change sound daily depending on the days humidity.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

turkin8or

I love to turn cedar and love the smell of it, but leaving it unfinished is a bad idea-

TnStickn

The smell will be almost unnoticeable after a matter of weeks. Finish it and it won't pickup dirty hand oils. :fire:

outdoors

WHAT'S THE BEST Finish TO USE , AND SHOW THE FIGURE AT THE SAME TIME , THANKS
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

pappy

Quote from: outdoors on May 25, 2013, 05:31:55 PM
WHAT'S THE BEST Finish TO USE , AND SHOW THE FIGURE AT THE SAME TIME , THANKS
This is what I would suggest, sand..sand...sand...get it to at least 800 grit, then use thin CA Glue on a paper towel and apply a very thin coat, let it dry, then sand it again very lightly to get rid of any "globbing" then apply a friction polish like Shella-wax or Hut's crystal coat. You'll be amazed at the finish if you do it right, here is one of my pots done this way...
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206