OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What did I come across here?

Started by AlleninNM, April 02, 2013, 09:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlleninNM

Went scouting this past weekend in the mountains of New Mexico.  I had meant to hike into a previously productive spot prior to daybreak and hopefully hear some calling from the roost.

Was running a little late and didn't arrive until about 30 mins past fly down.  I get about 200 yards from my destination and hear what seems to be non stop yelping.  I sneak to the top of the ridge and look over.  There are about 25 visible turkeys, with what sounds like an almost equal number of turkeys just out of sight in some scrub oak. 

I stand behind a tree and watch as seven mature toms posture and strut among 20 or so hens and jakes, while the same things is going on with the other group just out of sight.  The toms never gobbled once, but the hens would not shut up.  This went on for the next 90 mins, and was continuing when I left.  The flock did seem to break up slightly, but were still all within 400 yards of each other when I left. 

My experience with the Merriam's in this area is a complete lack of subtlety by the toms.  They will gobble from the second their eyes open until they close them that night.  I sometimes wonder how they don't lose their voices.  They may be running away from you, because you got busted, but they will continue to gobble.  So it seemed odd to have hens talking non stop and not a single gobble.  Was this some sort of pre breeding behavior or did I interrupt the turkey equivalent of a baby shower?  (Women gabbing with each other non stop while the men mentally count down the seconds until they can leave to go watch football)

Some information about the area.  9000 feet in elevation.  Area is at the top of a mesa, with steep canyon approximately 300 feet deep on one side.  Birds were within 100 yards of a 2 1/2 acre pond.  From the tracks around the pond, the birds had been there at least two weeks.  This is public land with a "road" that leads right to the pond, if you are stupid enough to actually drive there.  While all this was going on, I heard two vehicle drive within 1/4 mile of the pond.  Didn't even phase the birds.

I have never seen birds act like this.  Anyone else had similar experience?

Rapscallion Vermilion

First off, welcome to Old Gobbler.   There are a few of us New Mexico folks here.

What you saw sounds like pre breakup behavior that Lovett Williams described in one of his books, sorry, can't remember were.   The hens are very vocal at that stage and the gobblers have no reason to gobble as the hens are all right there.  More like a Chippendale show than a baby shower. I wonder if you also came across some rivalry between two different flocks.

Can you tell me where that pond is?   I want to see if my buddy is stupid enough to drive there.  ;)

AlleninNM

Thank you for the welcome.  This place has been a great source of info. 

It certainly could have been two groups.  About an hour into the whole thing, I heard another group that sounded to be a good 500 yards away.  Still just yelps with no gobbles.

In the past, it has seemed like the birds followed the snow line.  If the snow was still present, the birds were nowhere to be seen.  But as soon as it started to melt, they moved in quickly.  Which always made me wonder where the hens were nesting.  If they were on the move up the mountain as the snow melted, were they not nesting eggs in the meantime?  The mountain I am talking about rises about 2000 feet up. 

The toms we have shot all seemed to have relatively short spurs as well.  Does the rocky terrain wear the spurs off more than on more lowland birds?  Have never hunted birds under 7500 feet.

Funny you should ask about the pond.  In the last five years, I have only ever seen one other hunter in the area, and that was opening morning last year.  With the number of turkeys in the area and their lack of subtlety, I am sure it will get pounded eventually.

Anyone else seeing good numbers of turkeys this year?  Seem like a milder winter resulted in less winter kill in comparison to two seasons ago.

Rapscallion Vermilion

If you look at the record listings for Merriam's,  you'll find that the longer spur lengths are dominated by birds taken in SD and NE.  So there might be something to the effect of terrain on spur length.  I wonder if there isn't also a genetic aspect.