OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

wierd

Started by turkeywhisperer935, April 02, 2013, 06:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeywhisperer935

:o Kill'd a mature 2 year old gobbler this morning in Tennessee with no beard, just a bump where it should be. Never saw anything like it, it's my first one of the season so i'll take it.

catman529

Weird, maybe beard rot? How will you put in the beard length when you check it in, since TN requires a beard for the spring season?

FullChoke

First, congratulations on your gobbler.

I have heard of some beards falling or breaking off for various reasons, but not a gobbler just not growing a beard. Weird.

As the season progresses, you will see examples of many variations and anomalies. One fellow here in MS just recently shot his first gobbler and on one foot it had only 2 toes and a 1.25" spur that had a 90 degree hook to it.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Deputy 14

My grandpa killed one like that several years ago. I remember watching for 15 min wondering why he hadn't shot yet and after he finally killed the bird he told me and my uncle about not seeing a beard and was somewhat puzzled. Like yours it only had a small raised place on the chest where the beard was supposed to be.

tomstopper

Sounds weird but Congrats on your bird anyway.....

DirtNap647

had a mature bird around our property last year that had no beard that i could see full fan could even see the spurs on trail cam but no beard i agree weird

turkeywhisperer935

When I checked it in I was kinda skeptical too but they said as long as it was a male it was legal. Only way I could tell is it came in at full strut and the color.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase