OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Kansas Youth Opener Grandsons First Tom

Started by Mike Honcho, April 02, 2013, 11:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Honcho

Yesterday was Kansas Youth Season opening day and it brought a big weather change...previous 2-3 days had been ideal...65-70 degrees, almost no wind...birds strutting and gobbling.   Yesterday was 40 degrees a with a 20-30 mph north wind.  My 12 year old grandson Tanner and I set up in a ground blind before light we had set up previously near a strut zone.  I told Tanner if nothing else ground blind would keep us warm until we could get out and scout some...with wind either no gobbling or we couldn't hear any.  I moved out of blind as stealthy as I could about 7:30 am and saw a group of about 16 birds 300 yards southeast of us.   We moved out of the blind and re set up following cover of a tree line to within 100-125 yards of the group...one tom and 15 hens.  He was strutting
and putting on a great show.   I started up with some loud yelps on my Lonnie Sneed Green Glass and then some cutting...got his attention and the group started moving our way.   Finally coaxed within 35 yards and ol tom presented a nice 35 yard broadside shot and Tanner did the rest with his 20 gauge Mossberg and 3" Magblend.    Tanner got a jake last year so this was pretty exciting for him.  Rio Grande bird weighed in at 20 lbs, 7/8" spurs and an 8" beard.

tomstopper

Nice. Congrats to you and Tanner on a great bird. Memories that will last a lifetime.......

AUDoubleBeard

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Gumby

headbanger

alloutdoors

Doesn't get any better than that, congrats!

Mike Honcho

Judging from spurs I would guess that bird was a 2 year old??...in scouting I'd seen two toms with these hens...the boss must have stayed home yesterday morning and had this one tending the flock???

Hopefully the old man will be around for next time!

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

captin_hook

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

boomer