turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lead Vs HTL's

Started by Blue Petes, April 02, 2013, 10:13:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Petes

I was in a discussion with a friend the other day about lead vs htl and differences in velocity. Now i know htl shells are denser than lead. His point was that lets say a htl load moves at 1100 fps and a lead load moves at 1300 fps which is typical of a factory load. That with the increased velocity of the lead load it would be "comparable" to the htl shell at the slower velocity. I searched on the internet about the differences in knockdown power / penetration but only found test down between the two at the same velocities which is not realistic to the average turkey hunter who buys store bought shells and doesn't reload. Not looking for a right or wrong answer just a topic I've been thinking about lately and would like anyones insight on the subject.     

Tom Foolery

This test shows HV copper 4's in one section and h13 #6s @ 1090 in another, the h13 6's greatly out penetrated the lead 4's:  http://www.oldgobbler.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1653

TauntoHawk

when calculating energy weight is more important than velocity

You can shoot the winchester XR hevi or mag blends for a little of both if your concerned
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BandedSpur

Penetration in ballistic gel (KPY Ballistic Program)

Lead 6 @ 1300 fps @ 40 yds = 1.7"

HS 6 @ 1100 fps @ 40 yds = 1.8"

The HS penetration advantage is actually greater than predicted since it does not deform like lead does. The program assumes no deformation, but lead does deform, and flattened pellets do not penetrate as well as spherical ones.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: BandedSpur on April 02, 2013, 10:19:56 PM

The HS penetration advantage is actually greater than predicted since it does not deform like lead does. The program assumes no deformation, but lead does deform, and flattened pellets do not penetrate as well as spherical ones.

Either one will most definitely get the job done at 40 yards!

remmy1187

I have been using Hevishot since it came out and one thing I have noticed in regards to penetration, lead deforms when hitting the bird and pulls feathers in with the pellet which limits its penetration while HTL pellets do not deform and pull the feathers into the wound channel for the most part. 

Blue Petes

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 02, 2013, 12:14:11 PM
when calculating energy weight is more important than velocity

You can shoot the winchester XR hevi or mag blends for a little of both if your concerned

Yeah i know and thank you. Not really concerned just a conversation we were talking back and forth about which we do all the time. We hunt every species of bird pretty much that are found in our region or that migrate here and talk all the time about differences in shotgun loads. I shoot either htl's or lead when it comes to turkeys just depends on the mood im when i look in the backseat in the morning to choose what gun to hunt with.

Blue Petes

Quote from: BandedSpur on April 02, 2013, 10:19:56 PM

Yeah thats kinda what i was looking for. Now with seeing some hevi 13's cut open a lot of the pellets in the shells are by now means spherical. So does that matter in denser metals like Hevi 13?