OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

second tom of the season a little un-textbook

Started by loner, April 02, 2013, 05:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loner

day started off as usual, with no leaves on trees and typical winter type day,but at least rain stopped.two gobblers gobbling 100 yards apart and another on adjoining property.i got set up and the little gobble treeing house dog from neighbors house started barking at base of roost tree at tom.at daylight the two birds flew to next property to get away from the problem.still gobbling along with hen with other gobbler.made my usual round of the pastures and sat until 10.00am and remembered that boston butt sandwich at the truck and my boots and feet wet.rested,changed boots and decided to take folding saw and make blind for next day.leaned gun on tree and looked through binocs 300 yards away and tom strutting while another tom bred hen.i had to follow a creek to keep from being seen,cross back and crawl up bank into pasture toward where i thought the birds would be.in prone position with water saturating my clothes,i see a big chucklehead. kept crawing their direction and saw hen and i yelped three times softly.she came my way,the i saw the big head about 45 yards out.boom.game over .11/8"hooks,8" beard and probably 19#
just an ole' retired man that still believes in values,and common courtesy.

boomer

FullChoke

I dunno, that sounds Textbook to me in every way.

Congrats.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Shakey Jake

Gooserbat

Desperate time call for desperate measures.  Congrats!

BTW in my circle of hunting buddies we call that the Missouri sneak.  :funnyturkey:
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

tomstopper

alloutdoors

R AJ

Quote from: FullChoke on April 02, 2013, 07:45:45 AM
I dunno, that sounds Textbook to me in every way.

Congrats.

FC

Non textbook  because it was a shot over 40 yards perhaps? :funnyturkey:

Improvinghunter101

Congrats!  Sounds like getting your clothes wet was worth it!

Gawhitaker

Convrats. , gotta start packing boston butt sandwiches HA

surehuntsalot

sometimes you got to what you got to do....congrats
it's not the harvest,it's the chase