turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thanks Dad!

Started by mudhen, April 01, 2013, 10:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudhen

I'm not much into stories, I'll leave that for Joe :)

But I owe it to my dad to put something down:

Dad passed in 2011.  He was a great turkey hunter in Missouri, and was there when the programs really took off in the 70's.

At his service in Jan 2012, I was approached by a fellow who worked with my Dad at Connecticut Mutual Life Insurance in the 1970's.  Very nice guy.  Hadn't seen my dad in over 30 years.  He asked if we knew that my dad had taken out small life insurance policies for my brother & I, each were started with something like $5 in 1969. He gave us the policy info, and I contacted Mass Mutual, who had acquired Conn Mutual long ago.

The policy was worth around $2000, and netted $1200 after fees.

I decided I would buy a new shotgun with the proceeds, and that would be the last thing my Dad would ever buy me.  He would have said, "great, all he he needs is another shotgun"  :)

My buddy owns two guns shops, and he worked out a deal so that I could get a Super Vinci for around the same price as the insurance check.  He said I could not get any of the new camo patterns, only black or Real Tree.  I went with the Real Tree.

I've shot Bennellis for over almost 25 years now, and I feel that the SV is their finest gun yet from a functional standpoint.  Ugly, but very functional.  Tosses 250+- H-13 #6's at will.

Topped with a FF III, and it was good to go.

Opening day comes last weekend, birds are not very hot, but it was good enough that day   :icon_thumright:

Thanks Dad!

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

land cruiser

Great story,  thank you for sharing. 

DirtNap647

nice thanks for sharing

Wingboneman

B-Rad1

Thanks for sharing that with us! I'm sure your Dad was a great man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

First, congrats on the successful hunt and the gun from your Dad.

I had a similar thing happen when my Grandma passed back in 07.  I bought a Remington 700 SPS Stainless chambered in 30-06, and started sending it annually to my gunsmith until it turned it into the rifle below.  It's special to have a gun from someone who you loved be it Dad, Grandma, or anyone for that matter.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Hognutz

Nice story, Matt. What a great way to remember your Dad. Well done, my friend..

Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

drenalinld

First, you are way better than you think at telling stories. Thanks for sharing. I could not agree more the SV is not pretty but very well may be the finest operating auto built.

Wrangler95

Very nice story and congrats on the gobbler!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

tomstopper

Mike Honcho

Great story, I'm sure your dad would approve!  Nice bird too...sure got a big ol noggin!

redarrow

Awesome tribute to your Dad. Sounds like a man of integrity. I reckon the apple doesn't fall far from the tree Matt. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."