turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tennessee, Day #2 Bird #2

Started by catman529, April 01, 2013, 08:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catman529

Hunted another WMA and had another mess up. First, I lost my favorite call, a homemade bamboo tube, and could not find it anywhere. Only had a mouth call for backup and I was somewhat rusty with it. At 11-something, I called a gobbler off private land onto the WMA. He looked to be at 30 yd when I pulled the trigger. But I somehow missed and he ran away as I wasted 3 shells. I was tore up for a while, packed out of there and drove down to the store and bought a snack and some latex gloves to improvise a new call. This is what I used for the rest of the day -

I got on 3 different gobbling birds from 4pm till sunset. The first was probably the one I missed earlier, when I called, hens answered and all went quiet. The second was in a block of woods and a hen answered and all went quiet too. The third was a good hike away, and I heard fighting purrs, hens and gobbling as I approached, but all went quiet when I got close. Back to where I heard bird #2, almost sunset, I made some aggressive cutts on the call and got a gobble close by in that little block of woods. I didn't think he'd still be in there but he was. I snuck into the woods and set up, made a few calls, and waited. He couldn't have been more than 40 yd away when I set up, but was hidden behind a dip in te terrain. Some hens called from across a power line cut, but the bird strutted, spitting and drumming, right up to 25 yards where he tasted some lead.

I got the whole days hut logged on video, including the shots. I will have that online in a few days. For now, here is the pic.

Gotta thank the Lord against to blessing me with another awesome hunt.

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

AUDoubleBeard

Fatbeard

Good bird! What WMA you on we hunt Cherokee and Percy Priest
East TN Beard Buster

boomer

kansas hooks

alloutdoors

catman529

:biggringift:
Quote from: Fatbeard on April 01, 2013, 09:28:30 PM
Williamsport. They only have certain dates for turkey hunts.

wild1

Sweet!! Way to hang in there and get it done!

Fatbeard

Quote from: catman529 on April 01, 2013, 09:41:22 PM
:biggringift:
Quote from: Fatbeard on April 01, 2013, 09:28:30 PM
Williamsport. They only have certain dates for turkey hunts.
Good deal great bird again
East TN Beard Buster

JVA54

redleg06

Congrats! A lot of folks would have headed to the house after the start you had but perseverance paid off for you. Nice job.

Shakey Jake