OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Scouting, How Far Away...and other questions...

Started by dan61psu, April 01, 2013, 11:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan61psu

i was out scouting this past weekend - trying to find out exactly where the birds on the private land i am hunting this spring are roosting.

i think I have it narrowed down pretty close.  But...its gonna be tough due to the roost area being near the property border....and i saw the flock heading directly opposite of where i want them to go (meaning off property onto someone else's land/field).

My first question is...how far away can you usually hear a fly down (the wings flapping and knocking into some limbs).  I heard a few distinct fly downs in the AM (along with a lot of other turkey noise).  I was in the same hollow/depression as the birds, maybe slightly uphill along a creekbed.  The foliage was moderately thick.  Was this more than 500 yards away?

Second Question...if I know the birds are roosted in one area now, a month before the season opens, what are the chances they roost elsewhere once they stop flocking behavior?  The flock I saw was over 20 birds, at least 5 gobblers.  They were all in the same general area, flocked up, and headed in the wrong direction :(.

Any help is appreciated..I am still learning!
It's no fun living so far from good turkey woods!

NYGobblergetter

I would say that you had to be under 100 yards to hear them fly down. It is not that loud. Those five gobblers probably will start breaking up here in the next 2 weeks. Maybe a couple will hang out together, but they will all be out looking for the ladies if they are the subdominant bird. If there are several good roosting areas on your property it is definitely possible that they could roost on your land at some point. It happens on my proeprty all the time. If there are good strut zones and places for hens to eat on your property there will be birds there at some point. Good luck

dan61psu

Thanks!  I am glad i was within 500 yards at least, that means i think i can get to where i want to setup (strut area) and call them up to me hopefully.  My other option is to ask the adjoining owner if i can enter the woods on his side of the property so i can setup on their way to the feeding field...
It's no fun living so far from good turkey woods!