Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Call to hunters, to let them know its another hunter there.

Started by bornagain64, March 31, 2013, 05:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bornagain64

I think this is better posted here.

My buddy and I have talked about this a lot. I wish the NWTF or just turkey hunters would come up with some type of call to let other hunters know that you are there and working a bird. If you hear this call you would know there is another hunter there and you should leave. Many times we have been working a bird, and had another hunter move in on us or would have gone after a bird but thought another hunter might be working that bird.

It could be a any thing like owl call, then crow, then owl. It could be a peacock, screaming hawk, coyote, buck grunt or goose call 3 times n a row.

It would make sense to have an easy call that anyone could do, like a locator call. If word got out and everyone used it, it would make it safer and less stressful, to know for sure its a person not a turkey. Not saying everyone that heard it and knew it was a person would respect that and leave, but we can hope.

What do you think about this, and possible call?

John

Gobblehead30

I don't hunt public often but yesterday I was easing down a ridge and I heard a bad sounding gobble shaker call.. Lol.   I feel like a lot of times people just yelp but sometimes its hard to tell if its fake because I have heard some bad sounding turkeys and vice versa.

runngun

I already have certain things that I say, but I can't say it here!!!   :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

hangitup

I've thought about this before, but if I am working in a gobbling turkey I dont want to blow a locator call...  So idk

BOFF

If I'm working a turkey, I wouldn't want to use a locator call.

Just my preference.

God Bless,
David B.

drenalinld

If a turkey is close a locator can ruin the hunt but is a better option than putting yourself or others in danger.

savduck

Wouldn't it be easier to just teach people that parking right next to a truck that's already there is a bad habit.

The few times I've had to deal with other hunters on public land, they knew I was there. They either parked right next to my truck or a hundred yards or so away. I intentially park crooked on one way in one way out roads on public land. If you don't beat me there, your not going past me.
Georgia Boy

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: savduck on March 31, 2013, 07:33:06 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to just teach people that parking right next to a truck that's already there is a bad habit.

The few times I've had to deal with other hunters on public land, they knew I was there. They either parked right next to my truck or a hundred yards or so away. I intentially park crooked on one way in one way out roads on public land. If you don't beat me there, your not going past me.

The public land I hunt has parking lots for hunters.  So that won't work here.  When I see another hunter move in on my calling before he sees me and is out a good ways from me, the first thing I do is stand up to make myself not as vunerable to being shot as sitting on the ground and more in the line of fire.  Then I watch what he does.  If i see he sees me and realizes his mistake and moves on I don't do nothing.  If he still keeps coming or if a hunter gets to close and surprises me I will say talk to him.  The worst thing to do is wave or make any sudden movements so you avoid being shot.  Speaking out loud and letting them know your a hunter is the best thing you can do to avoid an accident.  I don't want to become a statistic.   

lightsoutcalls

Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

redarrow

Quote from: savduck on March 31, 2013, 07:33:06 PM

Parked at a spot on the LBL one morning. Walked a two track cause we heard a bird. Slipped in to set up and here comes 2 yaahoos driving down the track in a truck . .Right past me and my partner standing there.They had the nerve to say good morning as they passed by ,and proceeded to park in the open field we were getting ready to set up in. Some people just don't care.

mnturkey

One good thing about the public lands I hunt is there are parking areas and no motorized vheicles allowed beyound the parking areas.  They are all walk-in so that usually keeps the ruckus down.
SEMPER FI

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Improvinghunter101

A couple years ago, I was hunting a public land spot that is known for weird people seeming to draw permits.  Pretty sure most of them are PETA cuz they do better at scaring them off than actually killing something.  The first time I hunted there, I was fine and nobody was there at my specific parking lot.  The next time I hunted with my dad, it was on the weekend.  Had a feeling it would be packed so we got there extremely early and waited for the other groups.  We had a couple people come and park next to us and we told them which way we were going to go and asked them which way they were going to go.  Made it easy off the bat.  Now on a couple other occasions we had some of the weirdo types come along after sunrise.  They did their very best at walking ridges and crow calling.  Once they heard a gobble, they would stalk the turkeys and crow call every now and again to check it.  Then there would be three shots and turkeys running and flying everywhere.  This happened on more than one occasion.  On another occasion we had a bird working about 100 yards out and a hunter crawled up in the knee high grass and shot the turkey in front of us.  I don't much like hunting that place anymore. 

bornagain64

There will always be IDIOTS.

I am talking about real ethical hunters. If you are working a bird and here a hunter coming in you do "THE" call to him, lets say bob white 3 times, and he leaves.

Or if you here a bird gobbling and are not sure someone is working him, you do "THE" call to see if its a hunter, if no hunter responds back with "THE" call, then you proceed to work that gobbler.

I know everyone is afraid of scaring off the bird, but if a hunter is coming in on you, he is gonna scare the bird anyway.

John

eddie234

Where you talking about public land? How often should you use your "alert" call. Someone could move in on you between your alerts. If your on public land you could leave a note on your vehicle with your location to advise other hunters.  A good idea would be for a map being posted in the parking lot of your hunting area an everyone marking their location with a push pin. I have some signs made up I can post on trees as I'm walking into an area. They are bright orange a simply say hunter in the area. Just post them 100 yards or so before you reach your hunting spot.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2