OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tennessee opening morning longbeard

Started by catman529, March 30, 2013, 07:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catman529

3rd year turkey hunting but my first time killing on opening morning. Had birds all morning just out of reach on private land in a field. I was on public land in the woods. Finally the birds drifted off to the left so I decided to sneak. They had worked their way ini the woods, and I walked up on them and was in shotgun range. Saw a longbeard, shot and missed. Walked up to make sure, saw 2 more running bsk and forth. Shot and missed again. Don't know why I messed up so bad. Rushed the shots I guess. Birds were plenty close but I guess they were moving too much.

Anyway I thought my opening morning was ruined. On the walk back to the truck, I heard one hammer somewhere in the woods toward the river. For all I knew he could have been on the other side. Walked in the woods just to check, hit the call a few times, he responded and was close than I thought. I set up and called sparingly, he gobbled often but hung up out of range and mostly out of sight (thick tree growth where hardwoods blended into cedars). I repositioned by just a few yards twice, just a couple more series of yelps, and let the curiosity get the better of him. Finally after a while he came back and slowly worked his way to 25 yards where he tasted some copper plated lead #5s. Woods were so thick you can barely see him on the video, but I got most of the whole hunt on video in clips. I will put the footage on YouTube within a couple days.

Called him in with a homemade bamboo tube call. Gun is a NEF pardner pump 12 gauge, xx full accu choke .670, Winchester supreme high velo. 3" #5s, 25 yd.

10.25 beard 1 & 7/8 spurs, 22 lb 3 oz.  public land middle TN

Have to thank The Lord for answering prayers and giving me a great hunt. Thanks for looking

Onpoint

Congrats on a nice bird. You wouldn't happen to be hunting some WMA ground would ya?

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

catman529

Quote from: 19onpoint85 on March 30, 2013, 07:12:18 PM
Congrats on a nice bird. You wouldn't happen to be hunting some WMA ground would ya?
yes it's a WMA, I have killed most of my turkeys there. Might be on a prime private land next weekend, where a gobbler is almost guaranteed. I like a little of both public and private... Relaxed dumb birds for a fun easy hunt, and pressured public land birds where you hope to have a spot to yourself and the rewarding feeling of killing one.

RutnNStrutn

Congrats on salvaging your hunt with a nice gobbler after the 2 misses!! Most people would have gotten frustrated and given up. Good deal!!! :icon_thumright:

Casey Johnson

NWTF - Tennessee

tomstopper

30_06

alloutdoors

Rio Fan

boomer

kevin2

how do you like that Pardner? Was looking at one the other day.

nice bird and story...
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

chatterbox

Great job, and congrats on a beautiful bird! :icon_thumright:

captin_hook