OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

CA Opening Day

Started by TRKYHTR, March 30, 2013, 04:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

Joey and I had turkeys all around us for hours today. Alot of Jakes. We had 1 strutter just over the rise of the hill and we could see the Jakes with him but couldn't see him. Joey had a shot at a longbeard but it was marginal so he decided not to shoot. We split up after a while because there were so many different gobblers. I went to one turkey that was gobbling all morning. I got as close as I could because he was on some adjoining property. I spotted a couple of red heads coming up the dirt road I was on. They were all Jakes. All 7 of them. They got to about 20 yards and putted me. Meanwhile the gobbler above me was still gobbling. Then another gobbler was gobbling from where I had been setting earlier. Patients would have paid off there. But as luck would have it he gobbled a couple more times and was headed in my direction. I had moved that way a little after the Jakes busted me because I was looking for better concealment. I found a great spot and sat there. I started hearing some spitting and drumming but couldn't tell in what direction, so I was on pins and needles. Finally a hen stepped out on the small dirt road ahead of me and then came the strutter. He went behind the dropoff from the road and I called and he g cutt me off with a thunder gobble. Next thing I see is a hen to my right and getting close. Then I spot his red head coming over the rise. The hen was less than 10 yards to my left and the gobbler was a little to the right of the barrel. He walked up the hill so I could see his whole beard and I WHACKED him. At 35 steps his head was mush. This gobbler has no spurs. At least not now. It looked like they were both broke off at the leg. But he sure was pretty. It's hard doing a 10 second timer to get pics. Then my camera fell and broke so this is all I get of him today.

Here is the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TjCNhKyW3s

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

strut-stopper

Congrats on the bird. Sounds like you had a blast

alloutdoors

Another one bites the dust! Congrats!

boomer

RutnNStrutn

You're having a whale of a season Joe, and you've just got started!! Keeping kicking posterior!!! :icon_thumright:

BOFF

WOOHOO!!

Way to go Joe!!

God Bless,
David B.

captin_hook

Way to go Joe. You're having a dream season!

dlquinn

Sounds like a good morning! Congrats. on a nice bird
NRA-STAND AND FIGHT

beagler

Never Misses

JVA54

hookedspur

Beautiful Bird Joe .   Congrats !!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Dan Mallia

tomstopper

Congrats on another nice bird......

Flydown

Awesome! Dude, your a turkey serial killer. The text you sent me was total face smashing. Congrats buddy!