OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Strange Way of Turkey Hunting

Started by StruttinGobbler3, March 07, 2011, 02:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Just got done watching an episode of Hunting University, a show I'm not really familiar with. The episode was filmed in New Zealand I believe. Definitely some strange methods of killing turkeys over there. Half the time they weren't even in camo, and I never saw them hit a call once. It seemed to be mostly spot and stalk type hunting. I've only been successful stalking a turkey twice in eleven years. The strangest thing I saw was the "turkey drive" as they called it. A crew of men and dogs proceeded to drive a flock of turkeys over a short cliff past a line of waiting hunters, who wingshot them as they flew by. To be honest, I switched channels after seeing this. Just didn't feel it was a sporting way of hunting turkeys, and not something I would take part in. Did anyone else see this? Curious as to others thoughts about it.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

handcannon

Well, to them I guess that's just the way they were raised to kill turkeys. Probably hunted them that way for a long time just for meat. Now an outsider from the states going over there to participate in something like that and calling themselves a turkey hunter should know better and I too would probably have not finished watching the program. Sounds like something Jay would do.

joey46

I watched part of it also.  Anytime one of these New Zealand shows comes on it is more of a "so what" to me.  Nice these guys can go do this stuff on the company dime but really not worth watching for the average American hunter who will never be able to afford the trip.  

Jay

Quote from: handcannon on March 07, 2011, 03:15:26 AM
Well, to them I guess that's just the way they were raised to kill turkeys. Probably hunted them that way for a long time just for meat. Now an outsider from the states going over there to participate in something like that and calling themselves a turkey hunter should know better and I too would probably have not finished watching the program. Sounds like something Jay would do.
I don't even believe in Deer drives much less Turkey drives. I've seen the show in the past about New Zealand Turkey drives, and they probably think we are nuts doing what we do. Different countries hunt different ways.

Solid Snake

Yup different cultures do different things for sure. Watched an episode of the Wild Within on Travel channel last night and he was hunting Stag in Scotland. Their tradition was to hunt in a tweed suit...looked like they were going to church lol but it's the way they have been doing it there for hundreds of years.

turkey slayer

Quote from: Jay on March 07, 2011, 08:13:28 AM
Quote from: handcannon on March 07, 2011, 03:15:26 AM
I don't even believe in Deer drives much less Turkey drives. I've seen the show in the past about New Zealand Turkey drives, and they probably think we are nuts doing what we do. Different countries hunt different ways.
I agree I hate deer drives, and Im sure they wonder why in the world we sit around for hours in the woods day after day when they just go out and stalk them. to each his own.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

camp man

I have had turkeys driven past me on some of the public land around here...

Gobble!

That show was terrible even when he was shooting them with his bow like chickens in a coop

deadbuck

I didn't see it but if what they were doing was legal more power to them.

Crutch

I like Dirt King. (think that is correct). I've seen him bust turkeys the right way, put 5 stalks on the same elk before he pulled a 65 year double lung bow shot and several more things that slip my mind. IMO he is one of the most talented hunters in "the business".  Charlie is ok too, but I think Dirt is the real deal.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble: