turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TSA Problems

Started by TRKYHTR, March 29, 2013, 09:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudhen

I've traveled with guns for going on 15+ years, and had zero problems, TSA or otherwise.

Like Joe, I count shells, and hopefully never have any issues.

I've always been told to carry ammo in the original box, or a box designed to carry ammo.

With H-13 prices, EM should probably work on a better box.  That might be a good project for them before next season!

I feel bad for Joe, but I'm not surprised they took the loose ammo...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

TRKYHTR

Quote from: mudhen on March 30, 2013, 10:38:43 PM
I've traveled with guns for going on 15+ years, and had zero problems, TSA or otherwise.

I've always been told to carry ammo in the original box, or a box designed to carry ammo.

With H-13 prices, EM should probably work on a better box.  That might be a good project for them before next season!

mudhen

The problem here is they weren't loose. They were in the boxes albeit the boxes were crap and pretty much fell apart when the TSA agent opened them up to look inside. I've been flying across the country for many years and have never had a problem. I have forgotten to put my 3 shells I carry in my box before and they have confiscated those in the past. I have no problem with that because that is their rule. My problem was these shells were in the original box when I checked them.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

mudhen

Quote from: TRKYHTR on March 30, 2013, 11:25:12 PM
Quote from: mudhen on March 30, 2013, 10:38:43 PM

mudhen

The problem here is they weren't loose. They were in the boxes albeit the boxes were crap and pretty much fell apart when the TSA agent opened them up to look inside. I've been flying across the country for many years and have never had a problem. I have forgotten to put my 3 shells I carry in my box before and they have confiscated those in the past. I have no problem with that because that is their rule. My problem was these shells were in the original box when I checked them.

TRKYHTR

Joe, if the TSA guy was a fellow hunter, he would have probably laughed, and said, cheap  boxes, fall apart when wet!

But the issue I think is that they were not 'securely packaged' as required by TSA.

"Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition."

If you insist that they were securely packaged in the boxes you posted pics of, then you should certainly file a claim against TSA in the form of a Passenger Loss Claim:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/claims-management-branch

One thing for sure, I'm going to e-mail Hevi-Shot all summer and bug them to make better boxes for their $5 each shotgun shells, or at least offer a $4 plastic box that their 5/pk fits into.  I think they love the e-mails I've been sending over the years, so what's a few more?  ;D

Maybe some of you clever manufacturing guys could come up with a special case?  With a turkey print on it?  Might sell to slug hunters too?...

Good luck!

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka