OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

AL Turkey Hunt

Started by TRKYHTR, March 29, 2013, 05:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

Here are a few pics from out trip to AL. We drove into Demopolis AL on Monday afternoon and after the meet and greet, with Ronnie and Chris Holmes, we were off to roost some turkeys. We spotted a gobbler headed to a known roosting area so Ronnie and I were going there in the morning and Chris and Joey were headed to an area that they had seen 2 strutters. Ronnie and I were greeted with 2 or 3 different birds gobbling. After a few series on a mouth call and a trumpet we heard turkeys flydown. Within seconds a gobbler was running straight for us. He stopped right behind a little brus and then became alert. We eased to the right a few steps and was directly behind the camera from me so I was unable to shoot. The strutter came out with 3 hens and stayed just out of range until exiting the field we were in. Then another gobbler came into the back of the field and strutted and gobbled all the way to within 50-60 yards. I had picked out a twig that I though was 40 yards and he never reached the twig. I didn't want to risk a 50 yard shot so I held off on the shot. Joey and I went back the next morning and there was only 1 gobbler roosted there. He cam to within 15 yards but went behind us and avoided another shot. That afternoon I got into the field early and the gobbler I nicknamed Scardy Cat came into the field with 2 hens. I finally was able to get a shot and the Boogggyy man got Scardy Cat. Joey and I split up the third day. Ronnie and I went to Linden AL. The ironic thing about this is I live in Linden CA. We got set up in their honey hole called the slaughter house. We heard at least 4 or 5 different gobblers sounding off. When one of them gobbled a little to our right Ronnie turned to me and said " I don't want to jinx this but this is a done deal". He gobbled a few more times on the roost at my triple reed batman cutt and my trumpet and then he went quiet. Next thing I see is a gobbler sneaking out of the brush and into the gas line where we were set up. There were 2 gobblers. They started doing the mean walk and then raced each other to our Jake decoy set up. The strutter put on a show and Ronnie said anytime. He turned sideways and I cutt at him real hard and he didn't even respond. I killed him anyway. I told Ronnie afterwards they should name that place Little Hollywood because there were many actors who lost their lives at the slaughter house. We got a text from Chris that he had heard Joey shoot and then we got a text of him setting behind a nice Alabama gobbler. I want to thank Ronnie and Chris for inviting us down to hunt with them. They don't get any better than these 2 guys. I felt like I had known them all my life. Besides being great guys and generous hosts they can put the smackdown on some turkeys. True Turkey Thugs.

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Gooserbat

Glad you guys had a good time.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

reflexl

Sounds like a blast to me!!!!!!! Good hunt. reflexl

tomstopper

Awesome. Glad your having a great time. Congrats on the beautiful birds....

AUDoubleBeard

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

boomer

Congrats! Looks like you're having a good time.

DirtNap647

captin_hook

Congrats Joe. Looks like you guys had a blast. Great pics. :icon_thumright:

Gold Spur

Congrats on a great hunt.. :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

Roostem33

Sounds like a good time was had by all, congrats!!!

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

JVA54

beagler

Never Misses

Old Gobbler

Thats Awesome !!!! Glad you had a good hunt !!!love the pictures - love the catdaddy fist pump also !!!

Chris and Ronnie are the real deal and I am so grateful to be friends with such nice people --
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon