OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

CA Glue On A Friction Call

Started by Stoner, March 29, 2013, 12:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoner

Have any of you fellows used CA glue as finish on your friction calls? Have tried it three or four times and was not happy with the way it was going on the call. Each time I sanded the call down and went back to Tru-Oil. I have used CA glue as a finish on smaller items such as pens and it is a great finish, looks good, gives the finish some depth, and it protect the item very well. I would like to know if any of you all has had success in using CA glue on a friction call. Thanks.

lightsoutcalls

I tried it on a couple of tube calls years ago.  I never got a good feel for using it.  Like you, I have seen it used with good results on pens.  You might try the HUT friction polish.  I don't remember the name... crystal coat or something like that.  I tried it once.  It made a high gloss finish on the sides, but I could not get it to shine as well on the back.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

misfire

Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

pappy

I have used it as a primary then follow it up with Shella wax ...I wet sand it with 800 grit then put on the friction polish.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

misfire

Here is what I do. I use CA Thin only, I apply several coats using papertowels. After I get the amount I like on the call ( I use the slowest speed I can on the lathe when applying the CA) I then speed the lathe up and sand first with 400 grit, then 800 grit. I turn off the lathe and random orbit sand by hand with the 800 grit. I then turn the lathe back on and apply EEE Polish with another paper twoel and polish the finish. Then I remove the EEE with a clean paper towel
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Stoner

Thanks Guys, I will give it another try.

ttcustomcalls

I use nothing but CA finish and don't do any extra sanding once it is applied. It may not be as magnificent as some of the other CA finishes I've seen people do but it will still shine as much as a tru-oil finish with a lot less time spent on it. I use the BLO-CA method.

This video shows a method very similiar to what I do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcgOf4siqc