turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Oklahoma Opportunity

Started by Tomspur, March 28, 2013, 09:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomspur

Friend has 300 acres in Erick, Oklahoma in Beckham county that he has given to me to turkey hunt. Never been there but wanted to see if any of you guys have had success/opportunity to hunt that area. Also, what is the bag limit in that county. Just thought i would ask. Tahnks

Gamblinman

You are right in the middle of turkey heaven in Oklahoma. 2 tom limit in that county. If you can find an additional county to hunt, you can take one more bird for the season total of three.

Good luck,

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

stinkpickle

Awesome find!!!  Start studying the regs and enjoy! :z-guntootsmiley:

Tomspur

Thanks guys for the feedback. Believe the season opens April 6th. Hope to hunt at least one week and maybe two depending on the birds. Also, which species is in that county?

stinkpickle

That appears to be right in the middle of Rio country.

Gamblinman

Quote from: Tomspur on March 29, 2013, 11:00:26 AM
Thanks guys for the feedback. Believe the season opens April 6th. Hope to hunt at least one week and maybe two depending on the birds. Also, which species is in that county?

If he has birds, it won't take that long. In this country, 300 acres isn't much..they're going to wise up pretty quick.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Gooserbat

That's a really good area for Rio's.  No wait that's a great area.  you need to take advantage of this.  Oklahoma regs are pretty straight forward.  I don't know where you live but if your a nonresident then you need an annual hunting license and a tag for each bird hunted. 

A little FYI, don't buy the fiscal year license.  It's like $30 more $$$ and there is no benefit.

Here is a link to the OK website.
http://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma/hunting/license-costs/
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

FttFttVroom!

300 acres is plenty, I've killed them on tracts as small as 10.  All you gotta have is birds!  I think you'll do we'll there,best of luck!