OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

This Is Vaturkey's Fault - Haymaker Rem .670 Choke

Started by ILIKEHEVI-13, March 28, 2013, 06:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: goblr77 on March 29, 2013, 11:13:58 AM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 29, 2013, 10:04:28 AM

Indian Creek can make you a .670 choke if you call them I would guess. 

They probably would but when I talked to them about returning the .665  the only choke they had in stock was the .675 without steps so I took it. I figured it had to be an improvement over the other one and it was. I really don't need a .670 now after stumbling upon the Hevishot brand choke.

What's the constriction of the Hevi-Shot choke?  Is it .670 I am guessing?

goblr77

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 29, 2013, 11:18:15 AM

They probably would but when I talked to them about returning the .665  the only choke they had in stock was the .675 without steps so I took it. I figured it had to be an improvement over the other one and it was. I really don't need a .670 now after stumbling upon the Hevishot brand choke.

Might as well be...it's .671. It's ported and has wad catchers but I think it's more about the constriction. A plain Trulock .668 shoots pretty good as well.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I'm starting to believe my original thoughts that the ole saying that every barrel is different is in fact a myth. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

And I won 't go into the specifics here, but more and more I think what I am saying is very much true for a % basis. 

vaturkey

I think the Hevishot choke is .662 ! 
Vaturkey

goblr77

Quote from: vaturkey on March 29, 2013, 12:47:16 PM

I think the Hevishot choke is .662 !

For a Remchoke it is. Optima plus is .671.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/324224/hevi-shot-hevi-13-turkey-choke-tube-12-gauge-beretta-optima-plus-671-constriction

lock1nout

any 870 users try this with 6 or 7's? Curious to see results since our barrels TEND to need to be choked down for those loads.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: lock1nout on March 29, 2013, 04:34:52 PM
any 870 users try this with 6 or 7's? Curious to see results since out barrel TEND to need to be choked down for those loads.

Well all I know is Ricky shot a 2.25oz #7 load with this choke out of his Benelli that was so dang phenominal that he didn't post it here because he didn't think people would believe him.  I know what the numbers were and the yardage, too.  But that is up to Ricky to share.  I have no problem whatsoever believing anything him or Gold Hunter says.  And Brian was there to see it.  Like I said some folks you have to consider the source of what you see on the net to actually believe it.  But both these guys have my respect and trust.  If it shoots good in a Benelli, I have no doubt whatosever it will shoot good in a 870 or other guns for that matter. 

GOLD HUNTER

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 29, 2013, 04:52:30 PM
Quote from: lock1nout on March 29, 2013, 04:34:52 PM
any 870 users try this with 6 or 7's? Curious to see results since out barrel TEND to need to be choked down for those loads.

Well all I know is Ricky shot a 2.25oz #7 load with this choke out of his Benelli that was so dang phenominal that he didn't post it here because he didn't think people would believe him.  I know what the numbers were and the yardage, too.  But that is up to Ricky to share.  I have no problem whatsoever believing anything him or Gold Hunter says.  And Brian was there to see it.  Like I said some folks you have to consider the source of what you see on the net to actually believe it.  But both these guys have my respect and trust.  If it shoots good in a Benelli, I have no doubt whatosever it will shoot good in a 870 or other guns for that matter.

yes i was there @ the range that day Rick shot that combo and we both said people want belive this...... :drool:

we have some great turkey guns with combos out of this would and some of the stuff we shoot we dont even post it up and we spend alot of money and time at the range on them turkey guns, and the money we spend on chokes, shot, ammo, and the guns we got.......... we could buy a new truck !!!

chbarnha

where did you all get this choke? i have looked online and cant seem to find it...

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak

GOLD HUNTER

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I still believe in Wad Catchers.  Ask the boys in the card shooting game if they make a difference.

I also believe that you can't lump all .665 chokes together as being basically the same.  There's a difference.  I've shot H.S. Strut, TruGlo, Pure Gold, and Indian Creek chokes in .665, and there was a heck of a difference between them.  I believe that in certain designs, there is an optimum exit diameter vs. the bore diameter.  Perhaps with Indian Creek it's .665 in RemChoke, but with Pure Gold it's .670, and with Kick's GT it's .655, etc.?

Or maybe it's something entirely different in a Barrel that measures .731 instead of .729, etc.

There are probably some broad assumptions that can be made, but there are probably also some exceptions to those broad assumptions.

One man's junk is another man's treasure.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on March 29, 2013, 10:40:06 PM
I still believe in Wad Catchers.  Ask the boys in the card shooting game if they make a difference.

I also believe that you can't lump all .665 chokes together as being basically the same.  There's a difference.  I've shot H.S. Strut, TruGlo, Pure Gold, and Indian Creek chokes in .665, and there was a heck of a difference between them.  I believe that in certain designs, there is an optimum exit diameter vs. the bore diameter.  Perhaps with Indian Creek it's .665 in RemChoke, but with Pure Gold it's .670, and with Kick's GT it's .655, etc.?

Or maybe it's something entirely different in a Barrel that measures .731 instead of .729, etc.

There are probably some broad assumptions that can be made, but there are probably also some exceptions to those broad assumptions.

One man's junk is another man's treasure.

I don't.  None of the great shooting match guns that I have seen had wad catchers in the choke tube.  Not a one.  And trust me the guns that my buddy has and the guys I have shot with would smoke our turkey guns shooting 1 and 1/8oz #9's.  I can't for the life of me see a wad stripper feature giving you any advantage vs a choke that doesn't have them.  Like  I said my Mad Super Max out shot every single Indian Creek wad stripper choke I tried it against. 

chipper

The Madd Super Max without wad strippers in my Sx3 won't come close to my IC .665 in my gun and in my hunting buddy's BPS.  I've shot both in my gun with sevral different loads in # 6 and 7 with the same results, Indian creek with wad strippers comes out on top. Proof is on the paper

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: chipper on March 30, 2013, 06:23:50 AM
The Madd Super Max without wad strippers in my Sx3 won't come close to my IC .665 in my gun and in my hunting buddy's BPS.  I've shot both in my gun with sevral different loads in # 6 and 7 with the same results, Indian creek with wad strippers comes out on top. Proof is on the paper

Mine is just the opposite. 

The Star Dot in the 835 has no wad strippers.  And I will put it up against any choke on the market shooting 7's in a 10" at a taped 40yds.  And I'm talking for consistency.  Not saying that to brag but to prove a point about wad strippers.  I have'nt found a choke yet that would consistently produce shot after shot with the 7's better than that choke.