turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 steps...didn't risk it

Started by trippsims, March 28, 2013, 04:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trippsims

This morning was the first time that we have really worked a gobbling bird "well" since the opener. We heard him for the first time around 8:30 a good ways away. We kept calling loud and he kept getting closer, then shut up so I got set up quickly in a thicket off the side of a road. I knew about where he would come from, but I also knew that making a shot in that area would mean a close bird. Well, he comes in with two jakes, he's drumming and in quarter strut, I am shaking like a leaf and trying to ease to my right to get a shot.

I decided not to shoot because I didn't have to clearest shot in the world, which really wasn't my main concern considering he was no more than 20 yards. My main concern was that he could have been a jake and I was never able to see his beard, there were two jakes with him. I was 95% sure it was a bird to shoot and ask questions later, but that 5% is what saved his life, that is, until tomorrow morning when I go to the base of the tree he is roosted in and watch him fly down into my lap, click-boom.

longbeard11

Man thats awesome!! Good decision, you did the right thing.  Good luck tomorrow, hope you get on him.

captin_hook

That's awesome. You'll get rewarded in the future for your decision . You'll get him.

Gooserbat

Always tomorrow, and I've tried to squeeze the shot more than once...usually it don't work. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

howl

tomstopper

Quote from: captin_hook on March 28, 2013, 04:14:47 PM
That's awesome. You'll get rewarded in the future for your decision . You'll get him.
x2

FttFttVroom!

Good job laying off the trigger.  I wasn't quite as discerning as you several years ago when I had a longbeard and jake both come to a call.  I assumed after they went into a low spot, the first red head over the rise would be the big boy.    I shot and watched in disbelief as a big turkey with a huge beard took flight, leaving his lesser endowed travel buddy flopping in the dust.

RutnNStrutn

You'd have been disappointed if you shot the wrong bird. Good job!! And good luck tomorrow!!

Uncle Tom

Trippsims, if you haven't seen that beard or the tail fan has those long jake feathers and you do not want to kill a jake, do not pull that trigger. Many a longbeard has seen another day because of this, and if you make this mistake it is almost as bad as missing or worse, wounding a bird. An old gobbler is famous for laying back and letting the smaller bird "work the front lines" so just because you see a red head does not mean that is the one you want to shoot. Had this happen more than once--just part of the learning curve and this is one you need to learn real fast. Hope you get him, bet he is a dandy.

DirtNap647

mnturkey

SEMPER FI

Gut Pile

I would have done the same, 95% positive with a weapon = NO SHOT.

Hope you get  :OGani: soon
about the best religion can possibly do, is maybe make you a nice person, where as a relationship with Jesus Christ can make you a new creation

budtripp

Lol I shot a jake on "accident" once back in my high school days. Was working a bird and he was gobbling good and coming. I saw a red head appear through the brush and hammered him at 20yds. Got up to go pick him up and see a longbeard  running off then taking flight. I just thought there were 2 big gobblers coming in together until I got to my bird and seen the "stubby". Lesson learned I guess.

catman529

20 yd thru thick stuff is nothing.... dead bird easy. But being with 2 jakes and not seeing his beard, I don't blame you for holding off (unless I wanted a jake).

trippsims

I haven't been back on here in a couple of days, but we did go back and try to hunt the bird again in the next morning with no luck. We hunted until around 11 and never heard the first bird after 7, and he only gobbled once on the limb at daylight. We have been picking up around here and folks are starting to kill some birds, hopefully I can get it done in the next few days!