turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pot call rougher?

Started by kevin2, March 27, 2013, 09:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

I'm brand new to everything turkey, pretty much. I got my first pot call today & I was wondering what the best thing would be to rough up the slate surface? 220 grit sand paper, scotch brite pad, or some other item?

Do you rough up the entire surface, or just a small area?
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

wvcurlytop

I use scotch brite pads for my slates.  Once I find the sweet spot on the call, I rough up the top half of the call only.  No need to roughen up the whole thing.  Also, when you rough it up, swipe the slate's surface in one direction and NOT circles.  Just in case you didn't already know that..  Hope this helps, and welcome to the brotherhood of turkey hunting..

redarrow

Scotchbrite for me too.Use it to clean the tip of your striker also.

Balla1982

kevin2

It is a Lonnie Sneed Hot Hen Slate with a Stock Striker

I know nothing about them, so anything you've all added is greatly appreciated.

Quote from: Balla1982 on March 27, 2013, 10:48:14 PM
What kind is it?
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

redleg06

scotchbrite pads for slate, copper and aluminum surfaces. I'ved used fine sandpaper mostly on glass surfaces. 

I'm not a pot call guru or anything like that but it's worked for me.

captin_hook

Scotch brite on slate. Lonnie probably put a piece in the box when he shipped it. 150 grit on my strikers.

lonnie sneed jr.

Should be a pad of scotch bright with the call, if there are a pad of it use it on the slate, also should be a pad of sand paper with it. If there is use it on the tip of your striker. Good Luck

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

Balla1982

Like mentioned earlier, you'll find a sweet spot that you'll favor and will sound so SWEET!  When I first started I used to lose my spot all the time so I eventually put (2) "V" nicks about an inch to two inches apart on the edge of the wood or composite plastic so I knew where it was especially if I needed to keep my eyes elsewhere while getting to my call.

Gooserbat

Me likes green scotch brite for my slate and 120 or so grit emery paper for my strikers and 80-100 grit for my glass.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

heathwesley

Quote from: kevin2 on March 28, 2013, 12:08:30 AM
It is a Lonnie Sneed Hot Hen Slate with a Stock Striker

I know nothing about them, so anything you've all added is greatly appreciated.

Quote from: Balla1982 on March 27, 2013, 10:48:14 PM
What kind is it?

I am pretty sure Lonnie includes some pieces for roughnig up his calls.  Also don't be afraid to rough up the whole call.  I typically do and I do go in circles from the middle of the call and working out.  I do this so that no matter which was you work your striker your pulling across the grain and never with it.