OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

advice on diaphrams

Started by turkeystrut, March 27, 2013, 09:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeystrut

Hey guys, what are some easy blown diaphrams by hand made  callmakers that talk turkey? :drool:
gotta love the outdoors!

wvcurlytop

Hook's original executioner, Billy Yargus's final touch, and Cane Creek's CC smoker are three I found easy to blow.  JMO

darron

I have tried a lot of mouth calls and I like canecreeks cane cutter

Houndstooth Game Calls

Simply anything we make or any call that has proph for the bottom reeds garunteed!! If your looking for a easy call to run check out our Tom Bomb pro pack..
www.houndstoothgamecalls.com

troutfisher13111

I think u need to just try a few. I have been using diaphragm calls for 15 years and only can use about half the ones I buy, even among the same company. Number of reeds doesn't seem to matter. Not sure what it is, but thats how it is for me.

SCGobbler

Diaphragms/Mouth Calls are a tricky business.

IMO it's hard for someone to advise on this.  You have to find something that is comfortable and that you can blow.

The standard "easy" call used to be anything with a double reed and no cut and I could never get turkey out of those.  It wasn't until Primos came out with the "turkey track" reed that I started getting turkey out of a diaphragm.  I can't even get turkey out of a "Quaker Boy " old boss hen.

Now I use some Legacy Game Calls, and all of my go too calls have ghost cuts, or snake tongue cuts on them.  My favorite looks a lot like a reverse cut kind of like the Woodhaven Stingers.  I used to think I was a pretty decent on a mouth yelper until I really started looking at competition callers and how they sounded.  With that being said, you don't have to be a competition caller to kill turkeys.  I have heard hen turkeys that I could have sworn were a man trespassing on my land until they came into view.

My best advice is to buy several with no cuts, and some with cuts and find something that works for you.

I also found that my best friends could use calls that I couldn't and vice versa, there is palette wideness and steepness to deal with, there is tongue thickness to deal with there is rolling your tongue to deal with, etc...

Good luck and I agree that a variety pack is your best bet.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Uvagobbler

I would get a two reed call that is easy to blow. In the past I have bought name brand calls of the same model and would get different sounds from all of them. I have had luck HS ez rasp and knight and hale screamin hen II also. However, as the others said custom calls are great also. I've spent a pile of money on turkey calls and what works for me may not work for you. I personally would go with a two reed for starters. You may find the "magic call" fast or you may have to spend some money to find what works for you. Good luck.

TauntoHawk

out of the 75ish mouth calls I have my top 3 brands are Hooks, David Halloran, and Houndstooth

A modified V 3 reed from houndstooth, hooks exicutioner II, Halloran combo cut TKO are all calls that i would consider extremely easy to blow and not too raspy to over power a begginer. I like a batwings for flydowns and gobbling
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gooserbat

Try my Hillbilly or Black Magic.  Lyle is right anything with proph on bottom runs easy. 

http://gooserbatcalls.com/catalog.php?category=1
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

turkeystrut

Guy's I appreciate the advise .I am learning on these  mouth calls.They are harder to use than I anticipated.Buy what I understanding is the hand made diaphrams are more consistent than mass made calls.  :jesus-cross:
gotta love the outdoors!

MG150

Just received my Tom Bomb Pro Pack from Houndstooth yesterday.I have struggled with mouthcalls for a few years,some I liked the yelp better,some were easier to cutt on,some were better to purr with.I just couldn't find that "magic"call like Uvagobbler was talking about.I am pretty sure that I have found that "magic" call for me with the Tom Bomb.Easy to do all the turkey sounds on one call.3 calls same cuts but 3 different turkeys.Lyle was right when he said he knows what a turkey sounds like.I now too have become a fan of Houndstooth calls.Thanks Lyle!  MG150

bullet355

Another vote for Houndstooth calls,  I really like the All pro 3 and the Dixie combo black in addition to the Tom Bomb. Every call of Lyle's I have tried is easy to run.

troutfisher13111

Damn, now I have to check out houndstooth :D

MikeStaten

Hook's Devastator is the best mouth call I've tried so far. Also like their Executioner.  That said, prior to trying hooks my experience is limited to the mass produced calls such as primos and hs.

mtsrunner

I like Woodhaven calls because the tape stays nice and soft. I tend to keep a call in the side of my mouth and I have had some calls cause sores on my cheek and gums.
My favorites are the hornet competition, the single wing and the classic v2 and v3.
If you can get good sounds from a 2 reed, I with that because it is less likely to have the reeds stick together over the course of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk