turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Texas Hog Hunt

Started by mnturkey, March 27, 2013, 02:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnturkey

I have been thinking about a Hog Hunt for quite a while.  The thinking came to reality last weekend.
A co-worker and I started talking about it this winter, when it is -15 degrees out and it is 55 degrees in Texas the thought of warm weather is on your mind.
We put the package together with Boar Creek Ranch in Cayuga Texas, Tennesee Colony Texas is the nearest sorta town.
We left around 5:30 on Thursday evening and drove all night, we arrived at the Ranch around 11:00 AM after a few stops for gas and food.  1047 miles, when we started out the tempature was 5 degrees in Mpls/St. Paul when we arrived it was 67 degree.
We got to the Ranch and unloaded our gear and went out for a hunt Friday night.

I saw these on my stand around 5:00 PM something to keep me busy.  Around 5:30 I saw some hogs running throughthe brush but didn't have time to even think about a shot.  At 6:00 PM the Hogs came into the stand area, I saw a big one and squeezed the trigger and she dropped in her tracks, what a rush my first hog.

I went back to the ranch and the other hunters showed up and I was the only hunter who had shot a hog that night, my co-workers son had seen 3 or 4 but didn't shoot.
After dinner we cleaned my hog and I got to see their mouth.

We hunted Saturday morning and I saw another one but didn't have a good shot.
Saturday night the fireworks started my Co-workers son got one and my Co Worker got 2 with one shot a small piglet and a hog.  One of the other hunters got a big hog.
We hunted Sunday morning around 10:30 or 11:00 and then left for the cold ot Mpls/St. Paul, we arrived in Mpls. St.Paul at about 4:30 in the morning 1098 miles..  The whole trip was a blast and I think I will try it again next year.
SEMPER FI

Hognutz

Congrats on the nice hog..Let me know how it tastes.. Are they good tablefare?. Or is it sausage material?
I see you shoot an old BDL. Is it 30-06?
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

reflexl

Congrats on the hog. If its like the sows we kill they are good eating. reflexl

runngun

Wild hog is the BEST!!! Especially the sows, boars are too if cleaned right. My Dad cannot eat store bought pork cause it jacks his blood pressure up but he can eat all the wild he wants to.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Tail Feathers

Congrats!
The weather was a nice break wasn't it?  :D
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

tomstopper

Congrats. Those things taste great......

Turkey Beard

Kill 'em all! As you know, they're tough on the environment. That being said, I'm getting ready to go on my 3rd hog hunt.
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

boomer

Congrats! I love going to Oklahoma to bow hunt.

mnturkey

Quote from: Hognutz on March 27, 2013, 06:36:13 PM
Congrats on the nice hog..Let me know how it tastes.. Are they good tablefare?. Or is it sausage material?
I see you shoot an old BDL. Is it 30-06?
Next time I use the Hawken .50
SEMPER FI

Tomspur

Wild hog is excellent table fare. We always ice our pigs down and drain the blood off the meat for 5 days. Takes all the game taste out of it and meat looks great.  Nice pigs. Congrats

flintlock

Congrats on your hog.
Wess
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!