OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Good 12 ga 2 3/4" shell

Started by barry, March 27, 2013, 12:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

I'm planning on using my old Rem 1100 2 3/4" some this year just for old times sake.
It's the first shotgun I ever purchased and I haven't used it since 1999.
I may have some old Fed # 5's that I used back then.
What brand shell & shot size would you reccommend?

Thanks

darn2ten

Need some more info. Is this a fixed choke barrel or threaded? How long is your barrel?

Gooserbat

It depends on do you want to pattern your gun and find the best load, or just get something that works.  I don't guide every day but I do some and one thing I've not been bashful about is telling a client he needs a different shell (miss at 30 yard, " did you pattern your gun?" the Client says "no")  I've begun keeping a box of Winchester XX #6 in different length shells.  Why? because they seem to pattern good out of everything.  Yeah you might be able to out shoot them with brand or load @#&%$ but as a general rule I've found that they work good, especially if your going in blind.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

barry

Quote from: darn2ten on March 27, 2013, 01:09:16 PM
Need some more info. Is this a fixed choke barrel or threaded? How long is your barrel?

24" barrel cut down from 30" with custom made threaded choke equivalent to "Double Extra Full" so I was told by the gunsmith that made the choke.

Definitely plan on patterning, would not hunt with it without doing so.

vaturkey

Barry

Im pretty sure Hevi Shot {Hevi 13 } makes a 2 3/4" shell. # 7's are great !
Vaturkey

darn2ten

Might want to try the Win. Super X 2.75-1.5-6 in the lead load.

BrowningGuy88

I like Winchester Supreme 2.75-1.5-6's or Federal 2.75-1.625-6's.

My Model 12 with a 30" full will flat out sling those!

surehuntsalot

my 3" 1100 magnum with the 30" full loves the red XX winchester 3"2oz or 2-3/4"1-5/8oz #5'
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

BowBendr

The 1 5/8oz. Winchester XX loads are where it's at Barry.

The biggest factory payload in Hevi is 1.5 oz. and they don't make them in #7's.

BHMTitan

Quote from: BowBendr on March 28, 2013, 12:01:10 AM
The 1 5/8oz. Winchester XX loads are where it's at Barry.

The biggest factory payload in Hevi is 1.5 oz. and they don't make them in #7's.
If anyone knows where any of these are, let me know!  The model number is X12HXCT6.  My guns shots these great, but they aren't in production any longer.  I now shoot the Win X (X12MT6) which does almost as good.  The 2.75" Hevi13 #6 does great for me also.