turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opening day Double

Started by mark72, March 27, 2013, 12:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark72

This year my son asked to go Turkey hunting with me (he's 10). Me being excited as a father could be started preparing him for a shot at a bird. I purchased him a winchester youth 120 from a friend and we began shooting at 12 oz drink cans. He has been knocking them out so when youth day rolled around he was ready to go. We went and heard a couple of birds but came home empty handed. The next week rolled around and he was ready to go. We went to an area that I have been blessed to take a couple of really nice birds and set up after walking close to a half a mile. Daylight starts growing near and we heard a bird that was real far away. Waiting a few more minutes we heard a bird that sounded to be a couple hundred yards in front of us. I gave a tree yelp and he answered back along with a second bird. I told my son to get his gun in position to shoot with it laying across his knee and to get ready. Well it took all of 25 more minutes and I caught movement about 1 o'clock to my right, it was two birds in full strut headed to the decoys. I had my son sitting to my left and told him that the birds were there to take his safety off and get ready to shoot. He was ready the birds b lined to the gobbler and noticed that some thing just wasn't right and came out of strut. I yelp and both birds started strutting and gobbling. By this time I'm waiting on the blast and it never happened the birds started back to the right and I toldy son he had to shoot one of them. That is when he pulled the trigger. He is shooting federal controlled flights and I watched the wad hit the turkey in the head I imidiatelly follewed with a second on the other bird. Both birds down and we began the celebration. He is HOOKED now. His had a 11 1/8 inch beard and mine 10 5/8.

Genesis 9:3 ESV 
Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.

Flydown

Nothing better than that! Congratulations to you and the New Turkey Slayer! That is something you or him will never forget!

land cruiser

Way to go!!!  Congratulations!

captin_hook

Way to go! Congrats to you and your boy.

tomstopper

Awesome. Congrats to both of you. I bet hes a proud young man & your a proud papa. Very cool.....

marshboy

Now that is just awesome!!!
Congrats to you both.
Greg

boomer

alloutdoors

Awesome, congrats to both of you!

headbanger

Congrats...that's getting it done!

willy8457

DirtNap647

congrats to you both ...story book hunt

RutnNStrutn

That is absolutely awesome!! :you_rock: I love to see it when the youngsters get in on it too!! Congrats man!! :icon_thumright:

mark72

Thanks for all the nice replies. We are now hunting a bird that he has named "Goliath". Will post some pics of Goliath's tracks and hopefully a harvest pic. He's an old bird.
Genesis 9:3 ESV 
Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.

AUDoubleBeard

Spring_Woods

Nice pair of birds there! Way to go!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble: