turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Where wold you have a kid shoot

Started by Sampsta, March 26, 2013, 09:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sampsta

So taking my son 2nd turkey season..got skunked by another hunter last year. Im going to be using his Moss 500 20ga....Tru Glow choke and Magnum blend shot...would you have him shoot at the head(which is best) or if he is looking for a bigger target go for the body?

what are your thoughts with kids?

tomstopper

Definitely not the body. I would recommend the middle of the neck. Reason being that if he shoots a little low, he hits the waddles, & if a little high, the head. With turkeys the kill shot with shotguns is from the base of the neck up IMO. Good luck to you & your son......

Sampsta

yeah thats where I shoot....middle of the neck sounds good

zeke632

Quote from: tomstopper on March 26, 2013, 09:44:55 AM
Definitely not the body. I would recommend the middle of the neck. Reason being that if he shoots a little low, he hits the waddles, & if a little high, the head. With turkeys the kill shot with shotguns is from the base of the neck up IMO. Good luck to you & your son......

^this^

You dont want a crippled turkey and a dissapointed young hunter.  I used to put pop cans on little saplings that are about as tall as a turkey is. Then have my boys sit at the base of a tree, just like they were hunting, and shoot at the can. I'd tell them to aim at the bottom of the can.  I used light load shells so it didnt punish them to pull the trigger. I also set them fairly close to the cans, like 15 to 20 yards, so that they would have to concentrate and so that the can looked blown up to them.  I'd sit beside them or have them between my legs when we went hunting so you can talk them through the excitement and let them know when a tturkey was close enough to shoot.
Have fun & Good Luck !!!

lumberjack

Gooserbat

Have him aim at the point of the neck where the feathers stop and the skin starts.  I've never missed a turkey buy aiming at it's neck, but I've missed quite a few when I aimed at the head.

Think about it the neck is like a pivot point and for the most part stays stationary while the head is always moving, and I myself have always been more apt to hit a stationary target.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

wvcurlytop

Put the head on the top of the bead, or front sight. 

Put an apple on a fence post, or stump and tell him to practice knocking the apple off.  Clay targets with some sort of holder works well too.  Kids love stuff that blows up or falls to pieces for practice...  JMO

30_06

Middle of the neck is where I am teaching my kids to aim.

DirtNap647

Byhalia

~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/

Fatbeard

Do NOT do a body shot!!! Head shots kill birds.
East TN Beard Buster

Improvinghunter101

I've always shot at the base of the neck.  The reason being that if the turkey decides to move it's head at the last second, I'm not going to miss the bird.  Just my .02

Spring_Woods

Body shots are a bad idea. Base of neck...always.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

firstflight111

I have my boy aim for the wattle about mid neck .
CUPPED AND COMMITTED