OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Box Call Making Questions

Started by Cervinae, March 25, 2013, 11:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cervinae

How to apply 100% tongue oil and number of coats to oak and walnut box and lid?  Sign call before appling?  How top of sidewall box should be shaped, sanded (semi-rounded to prevent sharp edge)?  Is it best to mix wood type for box and lid?  Walnut box and oak lid?  Where can I order pre-made lids?  Much thanks.

VanHelden Game Calls

:emoticon-cartoon-012: :emoticon-cartoon-012: :emoticon-cartoon-012: :emoticon-cartoon-012:

Slow down, do some searches on OG and google and do some reading.  Then look at your favorite box call and see how its built.  Then do some reading on finishes.

Wish I could be of more help but your questions are more then I can answer here.

irishff727

You can go to custom calls they have. Entire forum dedicated to making box calls

larry9988

When making box calls you usually use the softer of your two woods for the box and harder woods for the lid. Good box woods that are easy to get would be red cedar, poplar and maybe butternut. Walnut usually makes a good lid on any of these woods. I also like cherry and purpleheart for lids. A walnut lid on a walnut box is also a good combonation. I have never used oak in my box calls so i really do not know how well it works. I have recently seen radiused lid material on ebay that may meet your needs. The quality of the materials will be a big factor in the quality of the look and sound of your box. The sound boards should be rounded over slightly and not left flat. As far as tounge oil on boxes, I never used it. I used spray can deft as it dries quickly and after 3-4 coats gives a good finish.

Cervinae

Thanks for your direction.  I have nine calls about completed. If they sound as good as they look I will be real happy. I really like using 100% pure tongue oil. It made staining a lot easier and safer than other available stains. Purchasing a belt sander was another great purchase which curbed sanding time. :wave: happy Easter.