turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

no stalking turkeys in pa?

Started by DirtNap647, March 25, 2013, 09:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

found this interesting and im not quite sure i understand it correctly but this is what it states on the pgc website:
                           Spring Gobbler Season Overview:
Only turkeys with visible beards are legal. Hunting by calling only -- no stalking -- one-half hour before sunrise until noon. Hunters should be out of the woods by 1 p.m.
we just had a thread here not to long ago if people thought stalking was fair but this actually amazed me that it is a law in pa not too.
how do you guys feel about this?

RutnNStrutn

I think its a load of BS. I've stalked on public and private land for years. Never came close to getting shot. I've had more close calls when I was sitting in my blind.

budtripp

Just another asinine game law that is probably impossible to enforce. I hear PA and the northeast in general are full of them

tomstopper

Bunch of crap. Stalking is just as much part of the game as calling. Does that mean that if a gobbler comes in & then gets hung up & walks away, that I can't try to sneak around him for another shot. Just ridiculous......

wvcurlytop

I wonder how they would enforce that law anyway?  What do Pa turkey hunters do, CONFESS when questioned by the law?? 

DirtNap647

im honestly wonderin what they mean by this?

Fatbeard

Sound like bs to me! Who says you can't move to get ahead of birds or move a few hundred yards to get a better shot!
East TN Beard Buster

Hooksfan

I do believe those folks voted for Obama.  That should be explanation enough.

lumberjack

My guess is that law was put in place long before anybody heard of Obama!! It was an attempt to make spring turkey hunting safer years ago.  If I am correct, PA recently changed a law that required hunters to wear blaze orange (a hat I think) while moving when turkey hunting.  Put those two laws together and you would be wearing orange as you tried to get ahead of that gobbler that hung up and moved on.  Would you still consider it stalking a turkey if you had to wear blaze orange? You might, but it would add a level of difficulty! I agree both laws are a questionable attempt at safety.....human vs. turkey KNOW YOUR TARGET!! But some unfortunatley don't and the rest of us have to put up with laws as consequences of the actions of a few.  I too would like to know how they enforce the law!!!

WildSpur

I'll answer!

This law has been in place before I started hunting 20 years ago.  We have had numerous safety issues over the years.  Mostly in fall season though.  All involving hunters mistaking hunters for turkeys.  I do recall some being fatal.  To this day many pa hunters will still stalk into hen yelps in the spring and every year people will get their decoys shot.  The law does not apply to changing set ups when working a bird.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

captin_hook

First off I live in PA and didn't vote for the Muslim. Second, I've moved on birds to change a calling location. Is that stalking? Who knows. I'll pay the fine I guess.

Uncle Nicky

Quote from: captin_hook on March 26, 2013, 06:56:07 AM
First off I live in PA and didn't vote for the Muslim. Second, I've moved on birds to change a calling location. Is that stalking? Who knows. I'll pay the fine I guess.

Well said Sir!! I live in PA also, it's not really an enforcable law, but if you DO shoot someone who is hen calling, I guarantee they will add this to the list of charges.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I have personally had this happen to me hunting public land.  It's a scarry thing. 

Gooserbat

No worries my Yankee friends, Oklahoma has dumb laws too...We have rattlesnake season!

http://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma/hunting/reptile-amphibian-regulations/
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

wvcurlytop

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 26, 2013, 10:15:01 AM
No worries my Yankee friends, Oklahoma has dumb laws too...We have rattlesnake season!

http://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma/hunting/reptile-amphibian-regulations/

It is coming to us all.  Some of these dumb regulations that it.  The environmental and tree hugging groups have to much of a foothold, and they are wanting to protect everything.