OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

no stalking turkeys in pa?

Started by DirtNap647, March 25, 2013, 09:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

30_06

I think it is an ignorant unenforceable feel good law. Having said that, it is the law.....one of the reasons I don't hunt in PA.

willy8457

I live in Pa and this law was put in place along time ago for saftey reasons only.  When I grew up here in Pa hardly anybody hunted turkeys, everbody hunted rabbits and ringnecks. I 'm not sure when it took place but we had a explosion of turkey hunters. and more than a couple people were getting shot every year. I even was hunting with somebody that was shot, we had broke up a flock of turkeys one day and went back in the morning to set up and call and was going to meet at a certain time. Bobby was headed to the meeting place and was walking and talking. Some guy heard him calling and leaves rustling and bang. People have to remember that we have more turkey hunters  than most states have turkeys. I checked on the game commission website and they said we had 250,000 turkey hunters combining spring and fall.  Are they saying you shouldn't move on a turkey I don't think so , Are they saying not to sneak up on the sounds of a turkey calling maybe , not everbody has as much common sense as some people  and being an avid fall hunter do I want someone sneaking up on me when I'm calling  NO WAY !!!!!

CntrlPA

The law is made for people who are truly stalking turkey, such as army crawling through a field to pop up  and shoot. Progressing towards and maneuvering around a turkey is not illegal.

irishff727

Shot I have heard of guys calling in their blind set up with a Tom decoy and had it blasted when they were calling how do u seriously mistake a decoy for a live strutting Tom

RIStrutStopper

A buddy of mine got shot at in PA. Someone decided to put the sneak on his full strut decoy and took a shot at it. Lucky my friend wasn't in the line of fire but he did get a face full of bark from the tree that was hit.

CT Spur Collector

Quote from: Hooksfan on March 25, 2013, 10:22:15 PM
I do believe those folks voted for Obama.  That should be explanation enough.

Not real fond of this quote.

The only Obamanites here in Pa live in Filthadelphia & Libsburgh!  It is a large Commonwealth with more against him than for him.

Now on the subject of stalking...you are permitted to move anytime anywhere on a spring gobbler with NO orange..those old orange rules are gone. You are NOT permitted to stalk, sneak or what ever you want to call it upon a turkey OR sounds of a turkey..(hunter). This is for safety reasons. (I didn't write it I just obey it).

In the spring you are also NOT permitted to be lawfully hunting for a gobbler or bearded hen without some type of call on your possession.  You are NOT permitted to hunt in the spring with any type of centerfire OR rimfire firearm.   

In the fall, you need to wear 250 square inches of orange (head,chest & back), walking to or moving through the woods.  You can remove your orange on your set-up BUT you need to have 100 square inches visible at least 10 or 15 feet(can't remember now) from your set-up.  (I use and orange band around a tree).

A centerfire or rimfire IS legal in the fall and both sexes are legal.

Again...I didn't write them,I just follow them. 

If you don't agree...write the PGC at PGC.com. 

P.s. Ive been here for quite some time and won't leave and if any of you confeds think you can hang with me in these mountains in turkey season.......come on north of the Mason/Dixon.....hahahaha!

Gooserbat

Quote from: CT Spur Collector on March 26, 2013, 04:07:05 PM
Quote from: Hooksfan on March 25, 2013, 10:22:15 PM
I do believe those folks voted for Obama.  That should be explanation enough.

Not real fond of this quote.

The only Obamanites here in Pa live in Filthadelphia & Libsburgh!  It is a large Commonwealth with more against him than for him.

Now on the subject of stalking...you are permitted to move anytime anywhere on a spring gobbler with NO orange..those old orange rules are gone. You are NOT permitted to stalk, sneak or what ever you want to call it upon a turkey OR sounds of a turkey..(hunter). This is for safety reasons. (I didn't write it I just obey it).

In the spring you are also NOT permitted to be lawfully hunting for a gobbler or bearded hen without some type of call on your possession.  You are NOT permitted to hunt in the spring with any type of centerfire OR rimfire firearm.   

In the fall, you need to wear 250 square inches of orange (head,chest & back), walking to or moving through the woods.  You can remove your orange on your set-up BUT you need to have 100 square inches visible at least 10 or 15 feet(can't remember now) from your set-up.  (I use and orange band around a tree).

A centerfire or rimfire IS legal in the fall and both sexes are legal.

Again...I didn't write them,I just follow them. 

If you don't agree...write the PGC at PGC.com. 

P.s. Ive been here for quite some time and won't leave and if any of you confeds think you can hang with me in these mountains in turkey season.......come on north of the Mason/Dixon.....hahahaha!

For a Yankee I think I might like this guy.   When you want to trade an Sooner bird for a Yankee bird?
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

CT Spur Collector

Love to.  I'm not too sure I could walk around down there, my one leg is longer than the other!  Hahaha!

Kinda windy too, ain't it?

Usahuntingear

Quote from: CT Spur Collector on March 26, 2013, 04:27:05 PM
Love to.  I'm not too sure I could walk around down there, my one leg is longer than the other!  Hahaha!

Kinda windy too, ain't it?
I live in Potter County, I always wondered why I had one leg longer.LOL.
One day at a time.

ferocious calls

Repositioning, not stalking. Im not talking belly crawling for a shot.

paboxcall

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 26, 2013, 09:57:02 AM
Well I have personally had this happen to me hunting public land.  It's a scary thing.

I had a guy stalk our set up one morning on private ground in PA, all we were doing was sporadic, light yelping as it was a quiet morning that day.

Quote from: RIStrutStopper on March 26, 2013, 02:56:53 PM
A buddy of mine got shot at in PA. Someone decided to put the sneak on his full strut decoy and took a shot at it. Lucky my friend wasn't in the line of fire but he did get a face full of bark from the tree that was hit.

And a very good friend of mine was shot on public when a hunter stalked his set up.  My friend was working an uncommitted gobbler for nearly two hours first thing off the roost when the stalker crept up, saw the dekes and shot the inflatable jake decoy.  The pattern traveled 60 yards hitting my friend, couple pellets breaking the skin and chipping his eye glasses.  Nothing serious fortunately.

The law was written to prevent these types of situations.  We can debate effectiveness, but that's why it's on the books.....

.....Really has nothing to do with voting in national elections..... ???

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

catman529

When I was on family vacation in 2011 I bought a nonresident PA fishing license and familiarized myself with their fishing laws. They have some stupid fishing laws for sure, and it doesn't surprise me that their hunting laws are equally as dumb. It's a beautiful state an I wouldn't mind hunting there but dang. I'd get tired of their rules quick.

longspur

It doesn't matter what they intend for it to be. If some DNR officer is having a bad day and sees you walking through the woods he can make a stalking case. Hopefully that won't happen but the door is wide open.

M,Yingling

I hunted pa all my life ,,I like the law ,,, I don't think I ever needed a bird that bad to belly craw though the woods LOL     :fud:    :OGani:
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

willy8457

:agreed:I like the law to , People that think that's a stupid law I really don't think we need them hunting here anyways. We have enough people that don't have common sense