OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rifle hunters and spring gobblers

Started by wvcurlytop, March 25, 2013, 02:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catman529

Unethical? no, not if it's a well-placed shot, just like killing anything else... why is it unfair to the animal to kill a turkey with a rifle but not a deer?

I don't think it would be safe though, too many hunters in full camo and a bullet will go a lot farther than bird shot.... I hunt public land and would not like rifle rounds flying through the woods especially with people who shoot at movement that they think is a turkey.

If it's legal then

TauntoHawk

My jaw just hit the floor, I had no idea you could use rifles in any state for spring hunting. In the fall yes I've heard of it but then I don't fall hunt unless its with my bow.

To be honest it would suck, my season would last for about an hour the first two days regardless of weather and most of my meat would be ruined. I honestly think its extremely dangerous when people are hunting on the ground and not firing into the ground from a treestand as well as wearing camo and having the woods green makes it hard to see through the leaves.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

30_06

If it is legal I'm not going to argue over it. It's not my cup of tea, but whatever.

Personally, I do not buy the unsafe argument though. Since deer hunters have been required to wear hunters orange there has been no decrease of hunting related shootings, it is obviously not working but hey it makes people feel safer.

chatterbox

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 25, 2013, 03:05:27 PM
It's unsafe.

And a turkey should never suffer the disgrace of being killed by a rifle, IMHO.
This. If you have a jake decoy out, I wouldn't want a guy over 100 yards away with a rifle not knowing I am sitting there. The hunter may or may not realize it's a deke. I wouldn't want to take that chance.
The second part of the statement is just as accurate. When you hunt these majestic birds with a rifle, you are completely missing the point of turkey hunting. It's about getting them close, hearing them drum, and feeling like your heart is gonna explode.
Try getting that feeling from shooting them 100 yards away with a rifle.

savduck

If they are hunting legal then they are legal. It is what it is.

I for one think that rifles have no place in turkey hunting.
Georgia Boy

Garrett Trentham

I would say that if rifles are used, blaze orange should be required to be worn by all hunters. If the hunters of those states or counties don't like wearing orange to turkey hunt, then change the law to shotguns only.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

lumberjack

Wild and Wonderful WV is the only state I get to hunt, and I too deal with turkey killers and rifles.  I know its legal but to me, it just ain't right!!! Bushwackin a gobbler at 30 yds vs 100 yds is completely different, let alone calling one in tight!  I accept the fact that some of it is tradition.....was it tradition for dove or duck guns to only hold three rounds, Or shot to be steel?  If you want to shoot something at longer range....talk to a farmer they would love some help getting rid of groundhogs and if you want turkey that bad...walmart and kroger sell them every day!!!!   I'm not judging anyone...I have to convince dad to leave his .222 at home every spring, but thats my two cents!!  I however would rather see folks hunting turkeys with a rifle than a bow, again just my opinion....but you know what they say about opinions!!!

Gooserbat

Quote from: chatterbox on March 25, 2013, 04:21:37 PM
Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 25, 2013, 03:05:27 PM
It's unsafe.

And a turkey should never suffer the disgrace of being killed by a rifle, IMHO.
This. If you have a jake decoy out, I wouldn't want a guy over 100 yards away with a rifle not knowing I am sitting there. The hunter may or may not realize it's a deke. I wouldn't want to take that chance.
The second part of the statement is just as accurate. When you hunt these majestic birds with a rifle, you are completely missing the point of turkey hunting. It's about getting them close, hearing them drum, and feeling like your heart is gonna explode.
Try getting that feeling from shooting them 100 yards away with a rifle.

First I agree 100%! :agreed: But now I'm going to play devil's advocate and ask a single question.  Then if it's "wrong" to stretch the distance with a rifle, why do we (and I use the term "we" as a general referance to the majority of turkey hunters) strive so hard to extend our range with special chokes, HTL loads that cost out the wazoo, rifle sights, and/or scopes, shooting sticks...

Just something to think about.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

stinkpickle

For me, the farther away the bird is, the less fun it is.  To some folks, turkeys are just like any other animal to plink at long distance.  To each his own, I guess.  It's his tag to fill.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: 30_06 on March 25, 2013, 04:03:41 PM
If it is legal I'm not going to argue over it. It's not my cup of tea, but whatever.

Personally, I do not buy the unsafe argument though. Since deer hunters have been required to wear hunters orange there has been no decrease of hunting related shootings, it is obviously not working but hey it makes people feel safer.

Not many people carry a 130" buck decoy in the fall unlike prob a big % of the turkey hunters in the spring that have a fluffed up gobbler and there sitting within close range of it on the ground and not a treestand. Big difference

RutnNStrutn

Personally, I don't approve of rifles for hunting turkeys. That takes absolutely no skill whatsoever. No woodsmanship, no calling, no fooling the bird, nothing that makes this sport so great. Instead all it requires is spotting and shooting skills. I live for the experience of calling them up close and personal, being on the ground, in their house, and making them do what you want them to do. I've killed the vast majority of my birds at 20 yards or less. No rifles for me. I'll save that for deer hunting.
With that said, I always support that if it is legal, and it makes you happy, go for it.

Improvinghunter101

I use to think rifles were only used by road hunters until I started hunting out of state and reading the rules and regs book.  I just don't see any fun or challenge in killing a turkey out pass 40 yards.  I've done it twice but prefer not to.  I don't use a scope but I do have a "turkey choke" to ensure that I'm not going to hit as much meat as I would with a broader pattern.  I'm not a meat hunter, as somebody has pointed out they are much cheaper at the store but I do love eating wild game.  I don't knock anybody that uses any scopes or anything like that.  Most of it has to do with how we were raised hunting.  I would have to agree that it is dangerous to hunt them with a rifle.  The use of decoys and camoflauge makes it dangerous.  I don't deer hunt with a rifle, not only because I can't, but I don't shoot deer with a shotgun either. I much prefer a bow.

CT Spur Collector

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on March 25, 2013, 06:15:57 PM
Personally, I don't approve of rifles for hunting turkeys. That takes absolutely no skill whatsoever. No woodsmanship, no calling, no fooling the bird, nothing that makes this sport so great. Instead all it requires is spotting and shooting skills. I live for the experience of calling them up close and personal, being on the ground, in their house, and making them do what you want them to do. I've killed the vast majority of my birds at 20 yards or less. No rifles for me. I'll save that for deer hunting.
With that said, I always support that if it is legal, and it makes you happy, go for it.

This is a great quote, good job.

I'm totally against any rifle for turkeys, spring or fall. Here in Pa. it is legal to use a rifle in the fall season. Have I done it?  Yes. Will I do it again? Probably not. When I was was younger, I have shot the fall bird with a rifle. No more. I personally do not think it is safe, nor much of a sport. You might as well "tree trim em"!

I do hunt in WV and I enjoy it. I only hunt on private posted ground, even then I'm always watching my surroundings. Sitting a the base of a big ole' oak tree, all cammoed, calling, hmmmm. You'd never know what hit you.

Don't feel like taking a .233 anytime any place.

But that's just me!

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Just because it's legal, doesn't make it right.

I'm shocked at the number of guys here that shrug it off as tolerable and acceptable.

Have some backbone, people.

30_06

Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 25, 2013, 06:02:47 PM
Quote from: 30_06 on March 25, 2013, 04:03:41 PM

Not many people carry a 130" buck decoy in the fall unlike prob a big % of the turkey hunters in the spring that have a fluffed up gobbler and there sitting within close range of it on the ground and not a treestand. Big difference

My point is the fact that orange has done nothing for hunter safety since its become a requirement. Bad hunters still do not identify their target and what is beyond regardless of the weapon used or colors worn by hunters.
The unsafe argument in essence only applies to unsafe hunters and you can't regulate that with caliber and color restrictions. A hunter who is safe is going to identify his target, what is beyond, and its surroundings. That does not change regarding the species hunted.