OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rifle hunters and spring gobblers

Started by wvcurlytop, March 25, 2013, 02:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvcurlytop

My buddy and I have an ongoing debate with some local turkey hunters around our area in their choice of weapons for spring gobbler season.  They choose to use a rifle to hunt them, while we prefer shotguns.  I was raised and trained by an uncle who flat out refused to entertain the idea of using a rifle for spring gobblers, and told me the turkey hunters use shotguns, and the turkey killers use rifles.  The guys we had our little debate with was telling us how they killed their turkeys last year, and the closest one was around 80 yards, and the rest were further.  Their reasoning is a rifle enables them to shoot further, thus eliminating "hung" up gobblers, they kick less, and you have to be a better marksman to hit a turkey with one bullet rather than a swarm of pellets, as they called it. 

It is perfectly legal in WV to use a rifle, so they aren't breaking any laws, but how is this forum's view on rifles in the spring woods?  And I'm not advocating any kind of gun control, just wondering what everyone else is using and why?? 

I'll start it and say I use a scoped 12 gauge, it is just how I was taught and my belief, and I couldn't imagine using a rifle to harvest my birds.  Any other views are welcome and I look forward to reading the views of others on this subject.  Thanks

CASH

I don't agree with it.  I think it's too dangerous.

But, if its legal it's legal.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

captin_hook

Quote from: CASH on March 25, 2013, 02:33:42 PM
I don't agree with it.  I think it's too dangerous.

But, if its legal it's legal.
X2.

wvboy

I don't like it .. but I try not to judge others.. just not my cup of tea.. the name of the game for me is getting them close and to put them down in the most efficient way possible.. that is a shotgun in my mind.. I grew up in WV and I have seen and heard of a lot of birds shot with a rifle and never found .. you miss by a small margin at any distance over 50 yds and you have a wounded turkey on your hands
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

dirtnap

I don't understand why that is legal.  I have turkey hunted WV several times and often wondered who would want to kill one with a rifle.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

It's unsafe.

And a turkey should never suffer the disgrace of being killed by a rifle, IMHO.

Gooserbat

Ok I've never knocked one over with a rifle, but in all reality how much more "unsafe" can it be than deer hunting.  I know there is the Blaze factor, but other than that I don't get that argument.  I personally have never felt the need to use a rifle but I'm not say'n I never will either. 

I guess it's kinda like sushi, calamari, or caviar,  don't knock it till you've tried it.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

redarrow

No condemnation on my part,but,I don't care for it.I use a scoped shotgun and sometimes a pop up blind. There are those that are against that ,but we don't beat up on each other over it either.Tradition sometimes plays a big role in how folks hunt.

turkey_slayer

Dont like it and deff dont think it should be legal due to the majority most people use decoys now. Is va and west va the only 2 states that allow it? I ran across a old man last year that had a 12 over 222. Said the rifle was for when they wouldnt come close enough. The terrain here is rugged and until the leaves come out you can be on one ridge and scan the ridge across from you. I hate to be trying to manuever on a gobbling bird to get in position when someone on the next ridge hears the gobbling then catches me moving.

redarrow

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 25, 2013, 03:12:06 PM
Ok I've never knocked one over with a rifle, but in all reality how much more "unsafe" can it be than deer hunting.  I know there is the Blaze factor, but other than that I don't get that argument.  I personally have never felt the need to use a rifle but I'm not say'n I never will either. 

I guess it's kinda like sushi, calamari, or caviar,  don't knock it till you've tried it.

I think the safety factor comes into play because of the camo we wear.

redleg06

To me, that takes most of the challenge and skill out of turkey hunting.....and I wouldnt turkey hunt if it wasnt challenging. I like having to get them close enough to kill them with a shotgun or a bow(if that's your thing) but a rifle is not for me.

Its legal in Texas also and it was REAL frustrating to see the "rifle guys" go out and kill birds 300yds across a wheat field while I was out hunting them with a shotgun.  It just doesnt take much skill to kill them with a rifle IMO.

If you want to talk about "marksmanship" go to the shooting range. If you say you do it for the meat - the grocery store sells it cheaper than you can pay for gas to the hunting spots and the cost of rifle shells... 

Lets be real...It's just easier to kill one if you dont have to get close.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: wvboy on March 25, 2013, 02:51:06 PM
I don't like it .. but I try not to judge others.. just not my cup of tea.. the name of the game for me is getting them close and to put them down in the most efficient way possible.. that is a shotgun in my mind.. I grew up in WV and I have seen and heard of a lot of birds shot with a rifle and never found .. you miss by a small margin at any distance over 50 yds and you have a wounded turkey on your hands

I know of a lot of turkeys being shot with a rifle in the fall to never be found. Even if they do get it they hardly have any meat unless shot in the head or neck.

HunterMan

It is legal where I hunt....But if I got a vote it would not be!

Gooserbat

Quote from: redarrow on March 25, 2013, 03:14:17 PM

I think the safety factor comes into play because of the camo we wear.

Yeah that's the only con I can find.  Otherwise I just don't see it as that big of a deal.  I think tradition is rooted deep enough that by and large most people are going to accept a full choked shotgun as a traditional "turkey gun".  That said if I were to take up poking them with a rifle, a 22K Hornet would be awesome.

I know I'll probaly get grilled over this so let the BBQ begin.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

natman

Ok I've never knocked one over with a rifle, but in all reality how much more "unsafe" can it be than deer hunting.  I know there is the Blaze factor, but other than that I don't get that argument.

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

There's a reason hunters wear blaze during deer season. Since they don't during turkey season, there's a big safety issue.

It might be OK if you were hunting in an area open enough to be able to see your backstop, but the idea doesn't appeal to me very much.