turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Got it done

Started by Shellwaster, March 25, 2013, 11:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellwaster

After a long and wet day Saturday on a south Georgia WMA with only one faint gobble I decided to sleep in on Sunday and let the storms pass. A good friend and I hit the same WMA (since I was drawn for the quota hunt and he was coming along for the ride and to film) at around 9:30. After a couple different setups he and I called it quits at 12:45 and went out to his farm to feed cows and move them into another field.
But before the chores we checked a food plot and to keep on par there was nothing but a couple deer. He hit his box call and no response. We ease through the woods to another plot only to find nothing in this one. Just for grins he made a couple excited clucks on a mouth call and was answered by a bird on the other side of the first plot in the woods. As we stood frozen in the young pines as cover we spot the bird. I immediately drop down but due to the ground cover I can no longer see the bird. After what seemed like 10 minutes without seeing or hearing the bird my buddy lightly clucks, this time it was answered by 3 gobbles and I see him strutting through the pines looking for the lonesome hen that got him fired up. As he made his way ever so slowly I see another bird with him. At this point I had to keep peering above my FastFire III to judge yardage. The strutter got behind some small pines at about 30 yards and let out a thunderous gobble between the constant drumming. At this point I knew they could hear my heart pounding.
I could no longer see the strutter but could hear and feel his drumming. Meanwhile the subordinate bird, who never strutted or drummed, kept walking straight toward me. He got to about 20 yards and I couldn't stand it any longer and wasn't willing to gamble loosing both these birds waiting for the dominate bird to present me a clean shot. I put the red dot where the feathers start on the neck of the subordinate bird and squeezed the trigger. The 3" Nitro 4x5x7 out of the 12 gauge barked and the bird never flopped. It wasn't a clean head shot due to how close he was so he took it in the boiler room.
So after a hard 11.5 hours at the WMA I was able to get it done within 30 minutes at his farm. I accomplished several firsts for me in this hunt; got a bird to gobble multiple times in the afternoon, killed a bird in the afternoon and killed a bird on opening weekend. He weighed 20 pounds, had 1-1/8" and 1-1/4" spurs and a 9" beard.
Please excuse the stupid expression I had on my face.

alloutdoors

Nice bird and a good read, congrats!

njdevilsb

Congrats.  You never know when it might happen.

tomstopper

Awesome bird. Congrats & I also enjoyed the read.....

Wrangler95

:z-guntootsmiley:

Very nice going,congrats!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

captin_hook

kevin2

Nice job. Killer photo too...
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

JVA54

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

chatterbox

Way to go! Great read, and a great pic!
Just goes to show that the subdominate can be a hoss! :icon_thumright:

Bustabeak

Awesome bird! Saturday in Georgia was tough. As well as today. The winds killed us today. Congrats on the awesome hunt!!

Gold Spur

Congrats! Awesome bird... :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

Rio Fan

Beautiful bird, congrats!

JLeòdhas

Congrats on the bird.
Jason Leòdhas