OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pushed out. Grrr

Started by wisconsinteacher, March 25, 2013, 09:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOStrutter

A turkey isn't worth losing a friendship over.  Just go hunt somewhere else.  If your buddy has been hunting in the past then let him do his thing and you will probably still be able to go with him from time to time.

honker22

I'm with the fellows that say you violated the 'Hunting Bro Code"... If you have other fruitful spots, I'd contact him and take the high road.  Maybe tell him you were in the wrong, and that you will not hunt in there unless.... whatever options you have.  You never know, he may be grateful that you spoke up and tell you to join him out there any time.  Losing a spot is better than losing a friendship... I know from experience.  Turkey hunting can bring out the most selfish of us, and i am the guiltiest of them all.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Mike Honcho

I noticed that wherever I was hunting an "acquaintance"  either tried to get permission there or would get permission on the adjoining land....which I have no control over anyway.

I did mention it and it probably strained our friendship a bit...long story short I keep my mouth shut about where I hunt and unfortunately have become a solitary hunter for turkeys unless with my grandsons/stepson etc.

dirtnap

No doubt.  I would never try to get permission to hunt somewhere that I knew one of my "friends" hunts or has hunted in the past.

I also don't tell many people where I hunt public or private. 

irishff727

i see what you guys are saying about violations for asking to hunt on property that a buddy has already laid claim to.. I am the same way with honey holes for fishing and back when i had permission to hunt private land i was the same. but here is my question why did th land owner say sure go ahead and hunt if he had already given rights to someone else. secondly i know that when it comes to my true outdoors buddies I have no problem sharing good spots cause to me we are all in it to accomplish the same thing. My true hunt buddies know my spots and I know theirs. we share the wealth, maybe thats just me and maybe I am stupid that way i dunno. If i am going to a buddies spot i will drop him a line and let him know I am hitting it up. And is guy #2 only hunting this for the youth to increase their odds of success and hopefully groom future hunters. Again yes i have hunted and fished with guys who i felt i should have blind folded before I took them out. but if you guys are hunting buddies i don't see why he would have a issue. and if i am wrong i am wrong, i will still let my buddies who i hunt and fish with all the time know my spots because sportsman in my eyes help each other. I know one year i was huntin a area up in NC pretty hard and coming up empty handed, i saw the same 4 guys at the check spot every day i hunted going in and leaving and they always asked if i had gotte lucky by day 5 when i still came back empty handed they offered for me to tag along and I got a nice deer. They saw i was putting in work and some miles on my boots and they shared their spot. told me to hunt it anytime i came up .

wisconsinteacher

This land that he has hunted in the past (1 time 2 years ago) is only open to the Learn to Hunt (2 days) then the farmer shuts it down and no one gets in.  I admit, I went to where he has hunted but he said he would not be there so I asked because of the bird activity and the fact that he did not ask.  If he would have said he was hunting in that area, I would have kept driving.  Again, I know I was wrong and plan on calling him to let him know that I will not be there and to wish him luck.  I know taking the high road is the way to go and that it is just a turkey.  I just want the kid I am taking to have the most opportunities that I can offer him to get a bird.  I guess I get to competitive sometimes.

barry

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on March 25, 2013, 03:57:47 PM
This land that he has hunted in the past (1 time 2 years ago) is only open to the Learn to Hunt (2 days) then the farmer shuts it down and no one gets in.  I admit, I went to where he has hunted but he said he would not be there so I asked because of the bird activity and the fact that he did not ask.  If he would have said he was hunting in that area, I would have kept driving.  Again, I know I was wrong and plan on calling him to let him know that I will not be there and to wish him luck.  I know taking the high road is the way to go and that it is just a turkey.  I just want the kid I am taking to have the most opportunities that I can offer him to get a bird.  I guess I get to competitive sometimes.

Call your buddy and tell him you asked the landowner because you didn't think he would be hunting it. Since the landowner opens up the land only for kids then your buddy should have no qualms in combining forces and taking 2 kids. 

irishff727

If the guy only opens it up for kids to hunt then I don't see any reason there should be any bad blood at all. There is no high road to take you are both trying to create the best opportunity or a young hunter to bag a turkey and no one should try to lay claim when it comes to getting the next generation of hunters involved

RUN-N-LATE

I agree with VATURKSTOMPER he had it first and u are suppose to be his bud that u left him and found your own land, now u coming back and trying to get his land...............Bad

tomstopper

Quote from: barry on March 25, 2013, 04:52:47 PM
Quote from: wisconsinteacher on March 25, 2013, 03:57:47 PM

Call your buddy and tell him you asked the landowner because you didn't think he would be hunting it. Since the landowner opens up the land only for kids then your buddy should have no qualms in combining forces and taking 2 kids.
:agreed: I wouldn't be beating myself up over this. I would call him & explain that you didn't think he was going to be hunting there & was only trying to give your youth hunter a good chance of getting a bird. I don't see the big deal if you & him are there together. It's for the kids & after the youth 2 days you guys are not allowed to hunt there. If it was in the regular season & you were on the same land as me I still wouldn't mind b/c the fact is that the landowner could have gave a stranger permission to hunt there along with him and instead he allowed one of his friends to be there. I would rather see one of my friends have success than a complete stranger. Good luck to both you & your friends youth hunters......

fallhnt

Is there enough room to hunt two different spots?
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

TauntoHawk

Quote from: fallhnt on March 26, 2013, 02:02:58 PM
Is there enough room to hunt two different spots?

that's what I was going to ask, unless the birds do 100% the same thing everyday together in the same group you guys should both be able to hunt the property. Give him first choice on set up and hunt a few hundred yards away or on the other side of the field.

After all its about the kids
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

frank1969

walk away ant teach the youth the proper way

wisconsinteacher

Well, I talked to my buddy and both are now on the same page.  I said that I was not trying to take his spot and sorry if he did feel that way.  He said it was not an issue and he did not think I was doing that.  In the past 3 days the birds have spread out so we are going to split up on the farm.  We made a rule that if one shoots, they need to stay put for at least an hour so the other kid has a chance at the other birds in the field.

FireDoc

Sounds like it is working out. Good to hear!

Good luck on your season!  :icon_thumright:
Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF