OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pushed out. Grrr

Started by wisconsinteacher, March 25, 2013, 09:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

Well, I need to vent and ask you guys what you would do.  Our birds are in huge flocks still.  I found a big flock on a farm where a buddy has taken kids before.  I texted him early in the week and he said he was not hunting it so I asked for permission on Saturday.  The farmer said no problem and that I was the first to ask to hunt it.  The next day my buddy went and asked permission and the farmer said yes and that I had permission also.  So now we both have permission and both want to hunt it due to the 14 gobblers we have seen in the same spot for a week.  I feel like I got cut off but I am guessing he feels that he hunted this place in the past so it is his.  Here are my thoughts:

#1 We set up together with our youth hunters and try to double up.  Put out one set of decoys with the blinds next to each other hope the flock of toms comes in all together.  1.2.3..Boom
#2 I get a little pushy and say I was first to get permission (I really don't like this idea).
#3 Walk away and if they get a bird, I can go there after if the birds are still there.

We are buddies but a few years ago he got weird over hunting land so I walked away and found new ground. 

Thanks for letting me vent I feel better already. 

irishff727

I dunno man if you asked and got permission first tech u should be up to bat. The land owner gave you both permission so I would try to work it out with your buddy. A true brotherhood of hunters fixes problems not make more so hopefully you guys can work it out

Jskwru11

that is a tough one for sure.  What I have always been taught is being a good sportsman comes ahead of getting a kill.  Besides most times you will be rewarded in the woods.  In this situation it's about the kids as well.  I would say go together and see if you can get the kids to have a good time.  Hunting is a dying past time in the US.  Kids now a days would rather play on the computer.  So if you guys can have the kids out there and just get them to have a good time, killing a bird is a plus.  Every new hunter helps keep hunting alive.

Hope this helps...

spaightlabs

Yup, set up together, and setup ground rules over who gets the shot if a single comes in.

870FaceLift

I say #1.  Life's too short to lose a buddy over hunting permission.  I know that hunting land is scarce, but so is a good friendship.  Show those kids a good time together and you'll forget all about this qualm.  Perhaps you can both lay some ground rules for next time after this youth hunt takes place.
Pass it on...

Gooserbat

Go for #1.  One of the best things about Turkey hunting is it and be a team sport.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

wvcurlytop

You mentioned having "Youth" hunters with you, so I would venture to say that only a complete $@&hole would not work with you in ensuring the youngsters had a good time and the best opportunity to harvest a bird.  I would try to work something out with him for the youth's sake as well as your friendship, at least for this year.  I'm sure if the property is decent sized there are more than one place to kill a turkey on it if he doesn't like the idea of setting up together.  But if he is a "friend", I would guess he would entertain the idea of working together.  You did call him a "Buddy" in your post, and hunting buddies only add to the fun and adventure, so try to keep them. 
Try to lease the guy's land for next year, and get it in writing that you control who and who doesn't hunt on it from the landowner if this year is a failure with working things out.  You said you saw 14 gobblers on the place.  I'm sure not all 14 will stay there together, but there still should be plenty of birds to work for all of you this year.  Good luck with it and let us know how things go. 

darn2ten

How big is the farm? With 14 gobblers, sounds like there is enough for everyone. Share info with each other, hunt, skip a few days then slip back in and hunt again. A buddy and me hunt a couple of the same farms and don't have any problems. I'm just as happy if he kills one, of course its more about the hunt than the kill with me. Just respect each other, keep it stealthy, low key, and the pressure low and ya'll should be fine. Good luck to ya'll, and remember, life is short. Somethings just ain't worth getting bend out of shape about in the whole scheme of things.

wisconsinteacher

One thing to clear up.  We have over a foot of snow on the ground and it has been cold the birds are still in big groups.  The 14 birds were together 2 days ago.  We have 2 days to hunt this farm for the Learn To Hunt program.  With the 5 day forcast, I don't see things changing to much for the birds.  Spring is late in northern WI this year so we have to adapt our style.  There will be no running and gunning this year.

jakebird

Who says you have to hunt the same field? I dunno how big this farm is but i can guarantee the birds roost somewhere back in the timber before they come to the field . If the other guy insists on sitting at the edge where they are coming , simply slip back in the timber between the roost and the field and blast one back in the woods . I know the tv recipe says you have to hunt in a field with a blind and a spread of decoys but it just isn't true . I dunno maybe you should let your buddy keep believing that and show your youth what roosting and roasting was meant to be . JM2C
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

wisconsinteacher

I hear what you are saying jakebird but I really don't think that is an option.  With 12" plus of hard crunchy snow, I really don't know if a guy could sneak in near the roost.  I will keep that in my mind as the week progresses. 

tomstopper

Quote from: 870FaceLift on March 25, 2013, 10:40:24 AM
I say #1.  Life's too short to lose a buddy over hunting permission.  I know that hunting land is scarce, but so is a good friendship.  Show those kids a good time together and you'll forget all about this qualm.  Perhaps you can both lay some ground rules for next time after this youth hunt takes place.
This. Its all about the kids. Good friends are also getting harder & harder to find as well......

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I would never EVER ask permission on a buddy's farm regardless of the circumstances.

Violation number 1.

It sounds like you asked your buddy if he was going to hunt it as an interrogatory inquiry.  When you heard what you wanted to hear, you didn't ask him if he minded if you went to get permission.  Did you ever think he told you he wasn't hunting there because he didn't want you to know it?

Violation number 2.

Your buddy should maintain better relationships with his landowners so people like you are told that the farm is already being hunted by someone else.

Round here access is difficult and exclusive access is sacred.  Guys like you are the reason we take NO ONE to our spots.

NYbassman

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 25, 2013, 12:59:59 PM
I would never EVER ask permission on a buddy's farm regardless of the circumstances.

Violation number 1.

It sounds like you asked your buddy if he was going to hunt it as an interrogatory inquiry.  When you heard what you wanted to hear, you didn't ask him if he minded if you went to get permission.  Did you ever think he told you he wasn't hunting there because he didn't want you to know it?

Violation number 2.

Your buddy should maintain better relationships with his landowners so people like you are told that the farm is already being hunted by someone else.

Round here access is difficult and exclusive access is sacred.  Guys like you are the reason we take NO ONE to our spots.

Took the words out of my mouth. I was going to post the exact same thing. Maybe I get this from being an obsessed waterfowl hunter, but you NEVER hunt a buddies spot without him, unless maybe he was to offer it to you. For you to not only go to farm that you know he hunts and get permission, but then feel entitled to it because you asked before him this year, is pretty unbelievable. If I were you, I would not hunt that property unless he asks you to hunt with him, or if he has tagged out and done for the season. Even then I would feel weird about it. Not trying to be a jerk, but if I was your buddy I would be upset that there is even a question in your mind of what you should do in this scenario.

wisconsinteacher

VaTuRkStOmPeR and NYbassman thank you for posting your thoughts in a positive way.  After reading it, I feel I need to take a step back and look at it from a different view.  My plan is to move on and look for different birds.  The reason I enjoy this site is due to the fact people are honest and polite.  I am in no way saying this as a sarcastic remark.  I know words on the internet come across different but I view your thoughts and see it as an eye opener for me.