turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

vest?

Started by j bird, March 24, 2013, 09:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j bird

I'm a newbie, I really want to get into turkey hunting, but not just for myself. I have an 8 year old son that I would love to see get into hunting.  My question is would you guys reccommend a vest?  It gets pretty hot here in TN and I'm just wondering.  One of my favorite things to do is fly fishing, I bought a vest for that, but soon found it to hot.  I swapped to a sling bag and I love it.  I'm not sure if there are things like that for turkey hunting or not. Some of the vests I've looked at had shoulder straps and don't look to bad.  Some of the turkey thug vests at walmart don't look to bad, and more importantly they're not so hard on the wallet.  I'm seriously thinking about waiting till after season and seeing if they go on clearance, but i'm not really sure what to do?

Thanks in advance,
j bird

kevin2

I got my boy a vest for fly fishing back in the day on the cheap. I'm sure if we'd have been turkey hunting he could have used that for both turkey and flyfishing.

Either way, I'm sure any vest on the cheap will make him feel like part of the game. He'll out grow it soon, but it is worth it, I'm sure...

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Garrett Trentham

If you're worried about the heat, look into strap style vests. They are much cooler while still providing the same amount of storage as other vests. Also, major outdoor retailers like Cabelas and Bass Pro offer youth sized strap vests.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

tomstopper

Quote from: Garrett Trentham on March 24, 2013, 10:09:21 PM
If you're worried about the heat, look into strap style vests. They are much cooler while still providing the same amount of storage as other vests. Also, major outdoor retailers like Cabelas and Bass Pro offer youth sized strap vests.
:agreed: This......

DirtNap647

i use a strap style vest not too hot, pack it lite big bonus to vest to me are the seat just flip it down and your ready plus a little storage you will find they are pretty handy

Gooserbat

My son just won a Redhead youth turkey vest at a calling contest.  He's wanting to sell it.  It's new with tags.  PM me if anyone wants it.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.