News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3" or 3 1/2" Hevi-Shot?

Started by lvetgas, March 24, 2013, 06:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 24, 2013, 11:43:03 PM
Thanks for sharing Tom.  I laughed on that one.  And I don't want to say there isn't a difference for there in fact is when your pushing a 1/4oz heavier load the exact same speed as the lighter 2oz load.  But your not really going to feel the difference shooting a turkey.  Whether it 70lbs or 60lbs of force hitting your shoulder, the point is really moot is all I'm saying.  Both ain't gonna be anything close to a 30-06 or even a 300 Win Mag when it comes to recoil.   
Actually, Brad a 3.5" Magnum turkey round punches out 66 foot pounds of recoil out of an 8 lb. shotgun.
A .458 Winchester punches out 53 foot pounds of recoil in a 10 lb gun. The .458 was designed to drive a bullet through 7 inches of bone to hit an elephants brain.
I know when I now go to sight in or just shoot my deer rifles, it's a piece of cake. Shooting turkey guns has made me a much better shooter.

lowoctane

Quote from: lvetgas on March 24, 2013, 06:58:38 PM
I know this has been covered somewhere, but I have not been able to search or find the answer. I was told that the 3" was a better shell, but I never saw research to back up that claim.

I need to order some Hevi-shot #7 to take advantage of the rebate and want to know the best shells to order.

I am shooting a new Benelli Super Black Eagle II with a 26" barrel. I plan on ordering a new Sumtoy choke tomorrow as well.

Real simple: talk to Dr William @ SumToy!  :z-guntootsmiley:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

lvetgas

That's my first phone call this morning. Unless he is turkey hunting and then I am jealous after all the rain we had this weekend.

DirtNap647

you may have to do some experimenting :z-guntootsmiley:

lowoctane

Rain, snow, welcome to spring turkey hunt in'!  :funnyturkey:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: chatterbox on March 25, 2013, 05:45:12 AM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 24, 2013, 11:43:03 PM
Thanks for sharing Tom.  I laughed on that one.  And I don't want to say there isn't a difference for there in fact is when your pushing a 1/4oz heavier load the exact same speed as the lighter 2oz load.  But your not really going to feel the difference shooting a turkey.  Whether it 70lbs or 60lbs of force hitting your shoulder, the point is really moot is all I'm saying.  Both ain't gonna be anything close to a 30-06 or even a 300 Win Mag when it comes to recoil.   
Actually, Brad a 3.5" Magnum turkey round punches out 66 foot pounds of recoil out of an 8 lb. shotgun.
A .458 Winchester punches out 53 foot pounds of recoil in a 10 lb gun. The .458 was designed to drive a bullet through 7 inches of bone to hit an elephants brain.
I know when I now go to sight in or just shoot my deer rifles, it's a piece of cake. Shooting turkey guns has made me a much better shooter.

I think you read what I wrote backwards.  I was saying that both aren't going to be anything close meaning they would be way more recoil then any of your normal deer rifles.  A 30-06 is around 20lbs of force or so.  So simply put it's mild in comparison.  A 458 Win Mag is right at 60lbs. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well actually I guess I wrote it backwards from what I meant.  But thanks for the correction.  I'll go and fix it. 

chatterbox

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 25, 2013, 11:01:20 AM
Well actually I guess I wrote it backwards from what I meant.  But thanks for the correction.  I'll go and fix it.
I figured you had it backwards. Just looked funny.

budtripp

Quote from: FL-Boss on March 24, 2013, 10:25:40 PM
And I guess to add... how many of us actually think "Man that gun kicks hard" right after shooting a gobbler.  It's the last thing you will think about after you shoot a nice bird.  Yes, you notice it when you patterning the gun... but not after.

I agree, never noticed anything while shooting at a bird. And as far as patterning turkey guns, a homemade lead sled with 50lbs of lead shot takes care of that  :you_rock:

BrowningGuy88

I didn't buy a 3.5" gun to shoot 3" shells. I have had a 1300 awhile and with 3" lead 6's or 3-2-7's it is a killer. I bought the 935 and haven't even put a 3" turkey shell in it (now 3" BB's for predators is a different story).

I want to put all the shot I can in the air with whatever gun I am shooting.

darn2ten

Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 25, 2013, 12:44:57 AM
A 3.5 inch 2.25 ounce load kicks ridiculously hard - I had a older 835 and simply gave it away , and opted to go back to my 3inch Remington at the time -

Some people have had a hard time getting a 2.25 loads to shoot better than their 3 inch loads to make it worth their while , or they figure the 3 inch is plenty good enough for their needs --
I agree with this. Though I occasionally shoot 3.5", I truly see no need in them for turkey hunting. Years ago I shot a 835 with a 3.5" HV win. and decided right then it was ridiculous and didn't need to do it again. My 3" gun throws around 130 in the 10 with #5 lead and over 220 with hevi 7's and will kill a turkey at 40 yards just as grave yard dead as a 3.5" gun throwing 300+ #7's. There are no differing degrees of dead.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: darn2ten on March 25, 2013, 04:44:42 PM
Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 25, 2013, 12:44:57 AM
A 3.5 inch 2.25 ounce load kicks ridiculously hard - I had a older 835 and simply gave it away , and opted to go back to my 3inch Remington at the time -

Some people have had a hard time getting a 2.25 loads to shoot better than their 3 inch loads to make it worth their while , or they figure the 3 inch is plenty good enough for their needs --
I agree with this. Though I occasionally shoot 3.5", I truly see no need in them for turkey hunting. Years ago I shot a 835 with a 3.5" HV win. and decided right then it was ridiculous and didn't need to do it again. My 3" gun throws around 130 in the 10 with #5 lead and over 220 with hevi 7's and will kill a turkey at 40 yards just as grave yard dead as a 3.5" gun throwing 300+ #7's. There are no differing degrees of dead.

I see your point.  But now see mine.  And you are correct if a turkey is truly dead in the first place it won't become any deader.  But hear me out.  And again nothing wrong with your logic, but more to me is better especially when it is feasible to do so meaning not costing an arm and leg to get the better results.  I'll give an example.  You say dead is dead and there is no differing degrees of dead.  Ok a armed robber breaks into your house at night, and you have your choice between a 9mm pistol or a 22 pistol to protect yourself and shoot him if you need to.  Now which one are you going to grab?  Both will kill and can kill just as dead as you say.  And there is no differing degrees of dead now.  Or is there?  Any smart person would take the 9mm.  Now granted a turkey don't pack a gun, nor can it kill you at least not likely.  But think about what I just said.  Myself, I will take overkill anytime. 

FL-Boss

My 2 cents...  with the 3.5in there is let's say 75 extra pellets when compared to the 3in.   Don't know the exact count.. I know it's posted somewhere... just taking a guess. But my point is those extra pellets could mean the difference in dead or not.   Assume you shoot a tad bit high on the bird... all it takes is for one of those stray pellets to hit him in the squash and it's game over.  Or at least that will rattle his cage enough so you time to get off another shot.  In that situation I want as many pellets as possible.

Now.. the flip side of the argument. Some guys don't want to have 100,000 pellets being slung at a bird.  Takes some of the "sport" out of it on their eyes. They prefer smaller...20 gauge, etc. Another example is guys that turkey hunt only with a bow. ... that want more of a challenge.   Part of me is like this... I would love to put together a nice 16 or 20 ga some day for turkey.

budtripp

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 25, 2013, 06:14:51 PM
I see your point.  But now see mine.  And you are correct if a turkey is truly dead in the first place it won't become any deader.  But hear me out.  And again nothing wrong with your logic, but more to me is better especially when it is feasible to do so meaning not costing an arm and leg to get the better results.  I'll give an example.  You say dead is dead and there is no differing degrees of dead.  Ok a armed robber breaks into your house at night, and you have your choice between a 9mm pistol or a 22 pistol to protect yourself and shoot him if you need to.  Now which one are you going to grab?  Both will kill and can kill just as dead as you say.  And there is no differing degrees of dead now.  Or is there?  Any smart person would take the 9mm.  Now granted a turkey don't pack a gun, nor can it kill you at least not likely.  But think about what I just said.  Myself, I will take overkill anytime.

Comparing a 22 vs a 9mm isn't quite the same thing, thats like asking would I prefer a .410 or a 20ga to hunt turkeys. Comparing a 3" to a 3.5" turkey load would be more akin to comparing deer hunting with a 30-06 or a 300 win mag. Both will do the job. Both are a bit overkill, one slightly more so.  :z-guntootsmiley:

ILIKEHEVI-13

I used it for illustration purposes only.  I think it makes a lot of sense to most.