turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3" or 3 1/2" Hevi-Shot?

Started by lvetgas, March 24, 2013, 06:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lvetgas

I know this has been covered somewhere, but I have not been able to search or find the answer. I was told that the 3" was a better shell, but I never saw research to back up that claim.

I need to order some Hevi-shot #7 to take advantage of the rebate and want to know the best shells to order.

I am shooting a new Benelli Super Black Eagle II with a 26" barrel. I plan on ordering a new Sumtoy choke tomorrow as well.

30_06

I have never had the 3" shell put up more numbers than the 3.5" shell, probably due to the sheer volume of pellets in the 3.5" shell.
Having said that I have no complaints with the 3" 2oz #7 load.

FL-Boss

I have also read that the 3in shoots better. But I find it very hard to believe considering the added payload of the 3.5in.   Personally I use the 3in.. little cheaper and easier on my shoulder. I'm getting over 200 hits in the 10 with 3in #7... good enough for me.  Just use #7 regardless and you should will fine.

Onpoint

I don't shoot HTL any more but when I did I shot 3's. My grandad and uncle both have 835's and my uncles prefers 3.5" hevi 6's and Pops's gun prefers the 3's.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I don't know how many times I have to state this on here, but the 3.5" 2.25oz #7's will smoke the 3" 2oz #7 out of my 835.  I have posted the patterns on here before.  So I'm not going to keep posting them each time this question comes up.  But if you want to talk 10" and 20" numbers and place your bets, you better be putting it on the longer and heavier loads for denser patterns. 

01Foreman400

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 24, 2013, 07:32:33 PM
I don't know how many times I have to state this on here, but the 3.5" 2.25oz #7's will smoke the 3" 2oz #7 out of my 835.  I have posted the patterns on here before.  So I'm not going to keep posting them each time this question comes up.  But if you want to talk 10" and 20" numbers and place your bets, you better be putting it on the longer and heavier loads for denser patterns.

Amen brotha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

lvetgas

I guess my question is does the 3 1/2" shell have more powder driving the 2 1/4 ounce load versus the 3" shell with 2  ounce load?

I think what I was told was not the pattern comparison as much as the knockdown power. How you would measure that I do not know without using ballistic gel.

It always does feel like a 3 1/2" shell has more recoil, but does that translate into more killing power?

2much2loud

Killing power will be the same if the shot size (hevi 7) is the same and the velocity of the shot is the same ... in your case a 3" of 7s going 1050 fps will have the same energy as the 3.5" of 7s going 1050 fps. .... Only thing different is amount of shot ( 3.5s have more recoil because of the extra powder it takes to get the extra .25 ounce of shot to the 1050 fps)

jrmcclure

Some people are baseing there decision on recoil. The difference in recoil between the 3" and 3 1/2" is barely noticeably. I shoot a mossberg 535 which is by far the worst gun iv ever shot recoil wise. If you have ever shot a 3 " high velocity lead load which are usually 1300 fps, the hevi 13 will feel like a light field load even the 3 1/2".

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: 01Foreman400 on March 24, 2013, 08:21:43 PM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 24, 2013, 07:32:33 PM

Amen brotha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. 

I'll add and I will be blunt and to the point.  If you in fact get a 3" load to out pattern a heavier 3.5" load of the same brand of ammo in the same size shot out of a turkey gun, I will tell you 95% of the time it's due to the fact that your not using the right choke, exit diameter, or both for the 3.5" heavier load.  Simply put there is nothing and I do mean nothing wrong with shooting 3" shells.  But if you got a gun that is chambered for 3.5" and aren't utilizing the advantage that the 3.5" shells gives you for denser turkey patterns due to the slight recoil difference, well let me just say that is really such a small difference and your reasoning isn't really holding much water.  Simply put the heavier loads will throw more shot downrange, and if choked right, you will in fact have denser patterns inside your 10" 20" or 30" circles.  Now whether or not you want to take advantage of that pattern density is up to you.  But I'll just say there is more myth about 3" lighter loads actually in reality out performing the heavier 3.5" payloads a vast majority of the times. 

FL-Boss

And I guess to add... how many of us actually think "Man that gun kicks hard" right after shooting a gobbler.  It's the last thing you will think about after you shoot a nice bird.  Yes, you notice it when you patterning the gun... but not after.

ILIKEHEVI-13

You said it.  And really if recoil bothers a person in this sport you really have no businees shooting any turkey load for that matter. 

tomstopper

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 24, 2013, 10:56:53 PM
You said it.  And really if recoil bothers a person in this sport you really have no businees shooting any turkey load for that matter.
:agreed: My brother-in-law who doesn't hunt watched me shoot my Winchester 1300 last summer (using 3in Win Supremes HVTL) and said that shooting a turkey is not worth the pain that the gun must inflict after watching the recoil of each shot. He was even more shocked when I broke out the 3 1/2's for my 1187. I tried to tell him that there was little difference in recoil but he attempted neither. I swear the only thing this man shot is a 22 rifle. He would never make it as a turkey hunter nor would I want him to.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Thanks for sharing Tom.  I laughed on that one.  And I don't want to say there isn't a difference for there in fact is when your pushing a 1/4oz heavier load the exact same speed as the lighter 2oz load.  But your not really going to feel the difference shooting a turkey.  Whether it 70lbs or 60lbs of force hitting your shoulder, the point is really moot is all I'm saying.  A 30-06 or even a 300 Win Mag are going to be mild in comparison when it comes to recoil.  So I hope you can see my point.     

Old Gobbler

A 3.5 inch 2.25 ounce load kicks ridiculously hard - I had a older 835 and simply gave it away , and opted to go back to my 3inch Remington at the time -

Some people have had a hard time getting a 2.25 loads to shoot better than their 3 inch loads to make it worth their while , or they figure the 3 inch is plenty good enough for their needs --   
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon