turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey vest weight

Started by Bustabeak, March 24, 2013, 04:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bustabeak

What's your estimated weight of your turkey vest? Or exact weight if you have weighed it. Seems mine gets a little heavier every year. Of maybe I'm getting weaker every year. 

B-Rad1

First thing in the morning i guess it is probable 10-15lb (calls, decoys, two gobbler lounges one for me n one for my boy etc. ). At the end of the day, after covering some ground if feels like 100lb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevin2

We started backpacking pretty seriously a couple years ago. One of the things that you take serious about packing over nighter trips is the overall weight of your pack & gear. So, the first thing I did when we started getting equiped for Turkey hunting this year, our first year as a family, was to select gear, when possible, that was as light as possible.

Amazing how light your pack can be by paying attention to weight & coming up with small tricks to trim the weight off of current items OR new purchases.

Today, I'm adding a light weight multi-tool. I'm actually doing a modification on the Leatherman Squirt PS4. I'm adding a saw, for trimming, and a hacksaw for whatever I need it for. I'll be using this Turkey hunting, but I'll also incorporate it into my backpacking pack & hunting packs.

Here's a link to the modification I'm doing if interested. At the very bottom is the description of how the fella did the mod.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=33095

If you want to trim weight, use the techniques on the packing communities site. They work!

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

hootn

mine will push 15 pounds easy. one time i carried about 15 to 20 pounds extra cause i left 2 rocks in the game bag, my wife was wanting some rocks around the house. forget to take them out and wondered why it was so heavy.

scott

wvcurlytop

18 pounds.  I have considered taking some things out to lighten the load, as who really needs four friction calls in their vest?  But I always talk myself out of taking them out.  Perhaps with age I will change my mind, but so far I'll leave it as it.  I weigh 225 pounds, and I carry that around all day, every day, so what is a few more pounds? 

zeus26

I hope to add about 22 pounds (and a little blood) to mine every time I slip it on!

Crappiepro

Quote from: zeus26 on March 24, 2013, 07:12:18 PM
I hope to add about 22 pounds (and a little blood) to mine every time I slip it on!
:TooFunny:

tomstopper

Bustabeak

I'd say mine is about 18 pounds. It gets heavy quick.

BrowningGuy88

I don't know, but it is not nearly as heavy as the gobbler lounger and my turkey gun combined. Then throw my 250 pounds in to the mix and it becomes a moot point...

turkey_slayer

If not for 10 lbs of food it would be close to 3-4 lbs

wvcurlytop

Quote from: Daman on March 25, 2013, 04:38:48 PM
I don't know, but it is not nearly as heavy as the gobbler lounger and my turkey gun combined. Then throw my 250 pounds in to the mix and it becomes a moot point...

:TooFunny: Ditto, I know what you mean. 

Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 25, 2013, 06:04:57 PM

Hey my kids want to come hunt with you!!!!  They only go to eat, and they say I never carry enough.. :toothy9:

turkey_slayer

Quote from: wvcurlytop on March 25, 2013, 10:04:48 PM
Quote from: Daman on March 25, 2013, 04:38:48 PM

:TooFunny: Ditto, I know what you mean. 

Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 25, 2013, 06:04:57 PM

Hey my kids want to come hunt with you!!!!  They only go to eat, and they say I never carry enough.. :toothy9:

Lol man I got to constantly eat. I'm the smallest in my group so everybody says I have a tape worm lol