OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What to do now?

Started by the Ward, March 24, 2013, 07:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

Well guys,i had a chance to do some pattern testing yesterday with the thugs.I shot some 6s,5s, and 4s thru a vinci 28' with a kicks gt .665 at a lasered 40 yards and the results were awful!!There wasn't even any use doing a ten" count they were so bad.I then tried them out of a bps 22' barrel with the full strut .640 choke with less than steller results.As a control i shot a ww 3/2/6 out of the browning and got a decent pattern(same as usuall)I didn't have time to try my .665 or .680 in the browning with the thugs yet.Now I don't know what to do about the vinci.I shot a ww hv 1 3/4 5 out of it as a control(i had patterned these before at 35 yards and they did pretty good)and they weren't a whole lot better!I am wondering now whether something is up with my choke?Temps were in low 40's and barrel was clean.I also noticed my poi and poa were way off also although i have a bushnell trs25 on it and i had it dialed in about a month ago and it was dead on.Now i had previously patterned the vinci at 30 35 yards,never at an actual measured 40 so it could be i'm just under choked at that range.Just don't know where to start !Was going to use the vinci this year as my primary and the browning as backup but now.....?Sorry for the long read,any advice ? thanks! ...ward

BandedSpur

If you've got time and don't mind spending the money, I'd pick up a a box of H13 6s or 7s. I bet either one is going to give you killer patterns at 40. No way to tell on the POI/POA issue though.

ahfox16

They sure shoot different out of different guns.  My buddy has an old 870 beat to hell and he shot the 3" size 6 thugs yesterday and got 152 hits in the 10" circle at 40 yards.

the Ward

Thanks for the replys guys!Yea i was seriously considering going down the htl road this year but with the price increases and discontnuing of some brands i decided to hold off on it.It truelly is amazing how different guns react to different shells,it certainly pays off to test!I'm going to try and shoot some today to see whats up with the poi and go from there,i will try the best loads i had shot previously(grey box 5's)to see what they do at an actual 40 (instead of the 32-35yrds i used before)to get a benchmark to go on.If my poi comes back then it probably was the choke/load combo(kgt .665/thugs),if not then i got sight issues to deal with first.What ya think?thanks again..ward