OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do you have an old turkey call that stills performs?

Started by rempumpman, March 24, 2013, 12:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rempumpman

As all of you know, the turkey call world is endless; so many calls to choose from but do you have a call that is 20 years old or older that you seem to grab for first? I have 2, a 24 year old slate call from Quaker Boy and a old Lynch box call that I can't begin to tell you how old this box call is; these 2 calls have been  with me on every hunt I go on and no matter how many new ones I buy, these 2 are my "go-to" calls b/c they still sound like solid gold; I have quit counting the turkeys that these calls have helped me kill;

Do you have some "vintage" calls that you still hunt with? tell the story and share some pictures; thank you.............. :OGturkeyhead:   
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

strut-stopper

I don't but my buddy and his dad both have a Lynch fool proof that are at Least 20 if not more yrs old. My buddies call sounds good but his dads I swear is a real turkey in a little wooden box.  Most times you can tell another hunter calling, especially one using a box call but at 20 yds you would swear a hen was sitting I'm my buddies dads lap.

lonnie sneed jr.

I have several calls that I carry every year that is way older than 20 years old. If you take care of calls they will last a life time. Box and slat calls, and they are full of turkey.

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

hoyt

I got a couple of Lynch calls I bought over 50yrs ago. A Fool Proof box and Jet Slate. Sill use the box, but slate is lifting off the Jet Slate so don't use it.

Update: I was wrong on the Fool Proof Box..I bought it after I'd had the slate..it's 48yrs old. Stamped 1965..my senior yr in high school.

jakesdad

Got a old Lynch box call I got for my 14th birthday in 1985.Dont take it very often but it can still talk bird!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

WildTigerTrout

I have an old Lynch "World Champion" box call from the mid-1970's, it's about 37 or 38 years old. I still carry it in my turkey vest and it sounds better the older it gets, just like a fine guitar! ;D
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

CallDr

I have a Southland Tube call that I have carried for almost 30 years. My Carolina Classic "Pot" that is 22 years old is still going strong with hunters. I am in the process of putting it in the line as soon as I make some material changes, tuning and tweak the Lightning Rod.

My "Battey Slate" sold through Primos, that they now call Ol Betsy was done in 1994 ( same pot as the Power Crystal) . Denny Gulvas still carries the original Battey Slate. It's what he likes and works.

I don't think good turkey callers get out dated. I do think in the past 20 years....... we have some Great Call Makers that just Spit Feathers and while not "better" than the older ones, is what we like or choose to hunt with.

www.wildtalker.com

VooDooMagic

+1 on the Battey slate from Primos, I have one from 'back then' that still sounds better than any other I have picked up.  There are alot of great slate calls out there, but when you strike one up and it just seems to be "right" you know it immediately, and my old Battey is one of those...

30_06

A Lynch World Champion that was made in the mid 60's I think.

wvcurlytop

I bought my uncle's Spec I slate at his estate sale two years ago, and he had bought it brand new in the early 90's.  It still sounds "Pure Turkey"!