turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Florida Hunting (pic heavy)

Started by Old Gobbler, March 23, 2013, 10:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Gobbler

The sun setting on a Florida pine block - I just called up a hen out of this and she went back in - these types of blocks are preferred nesting as the season progresses and you see hens going solo , and not in flocks -

sun down - time to go back to camp and be with good and old friends , and a good thing too , they keep you company and keep you going with your spirits high   

I will share with you a few pictures from a special spot I keep all to myself -- its a undisclosed Florida live Oak Hammock , in it must be palm trees that are 100 years plus old , the oak trees are probably way older - its isolated in a hard to approach swamp on all sides --

This is to be one of my favorite Live Oaks , in years past I had a gobbler skirt the hammock for 1 hour he hung up just outside that Oak Tree - its very similar to a oak tree in another area , my father used to call his "7 gobbler tree" he just kept on killing gobblers while sitting under it year, after year - I dont bother hunting that spot anymore , its way too crowded  but sometimes I go back to visit my dads tree

sometimes if I am slow enough I can creep up on a flock of turkeys deer or hogs , nearby the day before I spotted a Mother Panther and cub tracks in a crossing --

Bird in hand...hope I live long enough to see the fog on a Live Oak Hammock with a gobbler negotiating his way through it a few more times -what can say ....people who don't turkey hunt don't understand and that's fine by me , less people in the woods is good thing

push pin

Walking out .... sometimes you have to take  break on a nice morning and soak it all in  , life passes you by quickly , remember and appreciate the good times, the great places,  and special friends --
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

nx95240

way to go . would love to hunt in fl one time before my time is up..

Flydown

Beautiful hunting grounds right there brother! Congrats on a great hunt and time spent in the turkey woods!

Rio Fan

Great photos and narration and congrats on a beautiful bird. 

Half fast

MiamiE

CASH

Cool pics Shannon. That is a neat looking spot to hunt. Congrats on the bird!
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

captin_hook

Great pics. Nice bird also. :icon_thumright: that terrain down south is so much different than what I'm used too. Man do I need to make it down there one of these years.

hookedspur

Beautiful Shannon . I think we all have a special spot ,I know I do .I haven't been there physically in a while but I have sat there many nights in my mind just before I fall asleep .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

tomstopper

Congrats on the bird and also the awesome photos. I could just lean back & imagine my self there (especially right now while I am stuck here at work  :toothy12:) You got some great hunting grounds there....

marshboy

Beautiful.
I, too, would like to experience that sometime.
Greg

Publicland

Steve

Nice write up and pics Shannon...congratulations on a fine bird too.

My wife is bugging me to go to Florida in July for family vacation...I really don't want to go unless I can go fishing or something. I'm not into all the touristy crap. Heck, I'd much rather wait until next spring and come down for some turkey hunting. That looks like a whole different world from what I'm used to hunting.

DirtNap647

ElkTurkMan

Great Thread  and Awesome Pictures Shannon and congrats on the bird.  It was great meeting you last week!