Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

For fun, what do you pack in your vest & take to the field...

Started by kevin2, March 23, 2013, 08:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

Here's what we got between my kids & I to take out on our quest for our first Turkeys. What do you include that we haven't?!

1. Pop Blind-got 2, one big & one small for days by myself
2. Bows-arrows-Guns IF we happen to be runnin and gunnin
3. Turkey vest!
4. I've got a Niff-T-Seat as I've found it light years more comfy when hunting on the run
5. One Box call-Spring Creek Turkey Calls Long Box  w/chalk
6. Several Diaphragm calls-The Heckler being my new favorite at the moment
7. One slate-Lonnie Sneeds Hot Hen
8. Peacock-Woodpecker locator
9. Crow Locator
10. Primos Bombshell-not so sure about this call, but we'll give it a go
11.Primos Double Gobbler locator-not to impressed with this one either, but we'll take it too
12. Ultralight tripod for Video
13. Compact camera-backup video & photos
14. bug spray-thermacell
15. panty hose to pack our bird in, as my kids want to mount it!
16. paper towel to stuff in the birds throat to keep the blood down
17. face masks-hats
18. gloves
19. compact raingear
20. zip ties
21. TP
22. flashlights w/red lens NOT sure it'll help, but why not!

23. range finder
24. Decoys, how could I forget those! 3, super light & compact
25. GPS compass
26. food and water as needed
27. knife CONSIDERING a multitul with some sort of pruner thingy. MUST be small!
28. Small first aid kit-I pack alot & I'll be out far away from anyone, so I've decided to down size my full kit & take some BIG emergency items. NOT sure what those are yet, but I'll report back when I've got it down!
29. I'm tossing my goose call in the bag, as I've read where guys use one to locate. It'll make the first trip at least!

I'll add as I get ideas from you all!

Just curious...I've read where several guys bring a pen? Why?
Baby wipes, wondering about why guys are bringing these as well?
Extra mask & extra gloves, again, lots of guys bringing extra, why? Losing them?
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

RutnNStrutn

Box call, multiple diaphragms, slate pot call, glass pot call, multiple strikers, tube call, crow call, owl call, peacock call (not sure why, nothing ever gobbles to it!! :lol: )
Flashlight, licenses, pen, lighter, Primos Slick Stick, compass, knife, cloth tape measure cut off at 15 inches, lens cleaning pen, toilet paper, baby wipes, snacks, water, range finder, smart phone, reading glasses (I'm old :( ), gloves and facemask, Wildgame compact video cam that attaches to my gun, and last, but certainly not least, my THERMACELL - hey, I hunt in the south!!! ;)
My binoculars are on a harness held to my chest. My decoys are in a backpack, or if I'm carrying only a single deke, I hook it to my Gobbler Lounger - which goes on every hunt with me!!
Also, on a lot of WMA hunts here in FLA, I ride in on my camo mountain bike with gun racks on the handlebars!!
There's probably more, but that's all I remember for now. :lol:  One thing I know for sure is, that as the season progresses, I carry less and less stuff into the woods!! ;)

Tail Feathers

Thermacell, handi=wipes, a couple of extra shells, a compass, water, couple of pot calls and strikers, usually a box call, a Primos slick stick call condtioner, extra gloves and an extra mask.  My mouth calls are in a carrier on a string around my neck.
I try to keep it fairly light so I can carry my Gobbler Lounger.  I do so much better when I'm comfortable. :emoticon-animal-005:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

kevin2

Why the "extra gloves and an extra mask", just curious what spurred this habit? 

Quote from: Tail Feathers on March 23, 2013, 10:11:18 PM
Thermacell, handi=wipes, a couple of extra shells, a compass, water, couple of pot calls and strikers, usually a box call, a Primos slick stick call condtioner, extra gloves and an extra mask.  My mouth calls are in a carrier on a string around my neck.
I try to keep it fairly light so I can carry my Gobbler Lounger.  I do so much better when I'm comfortable. :emoticon-animal-005:

tomstopper

The following gear may sound like alot but due to the large pockets on my vest its reduced to a mere extra couple of pounds. I have reduced it down alot over my recent years.

1. Bee sting kit (very allergic & most important)
2. 3 extra shells
3. owl & crow call
4. bottle water
5. box call w/chalk
6. slate/glass call combo, aluminum call, 3 different strikers, wingbone yelper & primos conditioning stick
7. gloves & facemask
8. thermacell or bugspray
9. flashlight w/red lens
10. pen & small note pad (memory not the greatest half the time)
11. small pocket knife
12. toilet paper in a ziplock bag (don't want that stuff to ever get wet  :TooFunny:)

redarrow

Vest,shells,license.zip tie,binocs.gun.water,snack,3 pots,5-6 strikers.knife,folding saw,compass.moon floss,gloves,hat,mask,extra gloves and mask,owl call,crow call,cell phone,scotch brite,tums,asthma inhalers,flashlight,most times a small Bible.

I carry extra gloves and a mask cause they seem yo be the items I lose most.

lonnie sneed jr.

A pack of mouth calls in my shirt pocket, and a pack of mouth call in my vest, a hot hen slate, and a green glass, at least one box call, sometimes two box calls, a small single slate . A cowhorne yelper around my neck. Gloves and a head net and small mag light, that about it with 2 extra shells and a hot seat.

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

jakesdad

I usually start the season with this,but it usually changes before its all over:

1.Themacell+refill
2.2-3 mouth calls
3.2 pot calls(have several different varieties,just depends on what I feel like taking)
4.4-5 strikers(same as above)
5.box call
6.tube call
7.small flashlight
8.wet wipes
9.2 extra shells
10.turkey tote
11.extra gloves/facemask
12.water bottle
13.tags/license
14.cell phone
15.conditioning stick for calls
16.hand held pruners
17.sometimes take a small snack if i dont eat breakfast

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

kevin2

Binoculars OR no binoculars? I battle over bringing this item often, as some times I use them, sometimes not. It is a lot more weight to drag around, that is for sure. What do you think about this item?

Xcal1ber

Head light
2 pot calls
scotch pad
sand paper
2 strikers
3-4 mouth calls
a box call
box call chalk
crow call
owl call
gobbler shaker
mask
gloves
a few extra shells
a folding hen decoy
a bottle of water
bug spray, mosquitos can't keep up with me running and gunning though.
And most important! Toilet paper! (Been down that road too many times when the coffee hits me on the walk in, without tp)
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: kevin2 on March 23, 2013, 11:29:08 PM
Why the "extra gloves and an extra mask", just curious what spurred this habit? 

I've lost too many gloves over the years to not keep extra.  I had my mask break the elastic and it was a huge pain for the rest of the trip.  They are light and don't take up much room so I carry extras now.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Casey Johnson

2 Pot Calls
A few different strikers
Call Conditioning Materials
1 Box Call
5 or 6 Mouth Calls
Owl Hooter
Crow Call
Coyote Howler
Extra Shells
Mask & Gloves
License
Pen (For filling out tags)
Fire Starter (One of those things that makes me wonder,'' Why do I have that?'')
Carry Lite Hen Decoy (Sometimes I carry a Jake decoy, as well)
Toilet Paper (I don't think I have to explain.)
A Few pieces of Paracord (It comes in handy for a lot of things.)
Knife & Multitool
A snack and drink
Small Flashlight
Small pair of Cheap Binos
NWTF - Tennessee

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: kevin2 on March 24, 2013, 01:51:30 PM
Binoculars OR no binoculars? What do you think about this item?
I ALWAYS have my binos with me! I consider them a "don't leave home without them" item. I carry mine on a chest harness so they are out of the way, and always handy to use. I spend much of my time glassing. I just bagged a nice tom this AM thanks to my binos!! :icon_thumright:

kevin2

OK, you talked me into it! I'm going to get a smaller pair, as mine are just to bulky and heavy...

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on March 24, 2013, 04:10:04 PM
Quote from: kevin2 on March 24, 2013, 01:51:30 PM
Binoculars OR no binoculars? What do you think about this item?
I ALWAYS have my binos with me! I consider them a "don't leave home without them" item. I carry mine on a chest harness so they are out of the way, and always handy to use. I spend much of my time glassing. I just bagged a nice tom this AM thanks to my binos!! :icon_thumright:

Rio

I prefer to keep it simple
1. Box call
2. 2 slates w/strikers
3. 2 diaphragms in pouch
4. Primos Slick Stick
5. Thermacell
6. Ratchet shears
7. Binoculars
8. Flashlight
9. Facemask
10. Gloves
11. Toilet Paper
12. Water Bottle

I've got plenty of other "stuff" at camp or in the truck, but I like to travel light.