turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3.5" Mag Blend users?

Started by BlakeJ, March 23, 2013, 06:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

obro

I don't understand why the straight 6s get overlooked . I shot 6s,7s and MBs , overall I was more impressed with the 6s . They don't have the numbers of the 7s but it was a nice even peg board pattern that still was in the 220s at 40 with better ke. You can also argue the MBs are a little faster and have some 5 s in the mix but just how many 5s are in there . Even more so how 7s are in there and why don't they put up better or more constant numbers. I know every gun , choke and ammo combo are different but I watch others results on here and mine are similar . That's actually why I picked up the 6s to try .

mudhen

I get 185-220 with 3" MB in my SV with a H-13 choke.

I like the way the faster MB performs in the field.

But, 3.5" H-13 #6's with the same choke & gun gives me 220-240 all day, so I might just go with the straight 6's over the MB, even though it's slower...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

01Foreman400

I have 24 boxes of the 3" Mag Blends but still have yet to pattern them in my 3" guns.  I like some of the numbers you all are getting with the 3".  I chose the Mag Blends over the straight #7's because I liked the higher velocity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

obro

The velocity is a slight benefit . It may give you a bit more ke . It would be more of a benefit with ducks and geese when shooting at a moving target with your leed . But hopefully a turkey is stationary when you shoot at it and speed isn't as critical .

BlakeJ

Quote from: obro on March 25, 2013, 08:50:21 AM
The velocity is a slight benefit . It may give you a bit more ke . It would be more of a benefit with ducks and geese when shooting at a moving target with your leed . But hopefully a turkey is stationary when you shoot at it and speed isn't as critical .

I don't really view it that way. Velocity equals KE equals knock down power. The harder something gets hit, the more trauma is inflicted and the more devastation is inflicted by the projectile. Rifles or shotguns.

FttFttVroom!

3.5 inch mag blends last year did 190's in the ten at 40 yds in my 870 SM with 23 inch barrel and .660 jelly head.  The pattern wasn't as dense as with the straight 7's, but it was more even throughout.  I got a .662 hevi choke to try this year as some are havin good luck with mag blend and regular hevi with it.