turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

11-87 Stuck Choke And Help

Started by simmonds, March 23, 2013, 12:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simmonds

This will be my first year turkey hunting and I'm getting really excited!

The only shotgun I own right now is a 11-87. It only takes up to 3" shells so I'm needing some advice on good loads for this gun. I got it at a garage sale for $100 bucks, guy said he's selling it cheap cause the choke tubes stuck...he wasn't kidding. I have tried a few times to get it out to no avail. He said it was a good tube though, can't remember the brand he said but I do remember him saying its a damn good choke. He used the gun for duck and geese. It is a nice ported choke but I sure wish I could get it out to see what it is.

Any recommended load I should go buy to see how this thing patterns?

Thanks

R AJ

Buy some brake fluid , maybe two cans and soak the end of the barrel and choke for at least two hours .
If it is a flush mounted choke get the proper tool or a quarter and a pair of pliers to turn it counter clockwise or to the left.

If the choke is extended then use channel locks or large pliers with some plastic tubing or protection over the choke. The threads probably have a combo of gun powder, rust from waterfowl hunting, etc. Hopefully the threads aren't ruined on the barrel.
After choke is out use oil and or bronze or copper wire brush to clean threads on gun and choke.
Preferably put grease on threads and screw in.At the end of each season remove choke and clean it and barrel before storing.

simmonds

RAJ, Thanks! Great tip, I did as you said and finally got the choke out. Unfortunately there are no markings on the choke so I'm still not sure what it is. Also, I haven't wire brushed the inside threads on the shotgun yet, just tried a little oil and could not get the factory flush mount chokes to seat all the way down, stripped the choke wrench trying to turn it too hard. Threads must be buggered up down there. Once I get that taken care of and get these tubes seating all the way, I can work on patterning.

Anyone have any success with the factory full choke for the 11-87 with any particular load or should I get a new choke for this gun? It has a 28 inch barrel.

Chris

allaboutshooting

Quote from: simmonds on March 23, 2013, 02:20:57 PM
RAJ, Thanks! Great tip, I did as you said and finally got the choke out. Unfortunately there are no markings on the choke so I'm still not sure what it is. Also, I haven't wire brushed the inside threads on the shotgun yet, just tried a little oil and could not get the factory flush mount chokes to seat all the way down, stripped the choke wrench trying to turn it too hard. Threads must be buggered up down there. Once I get that taken care of and get these tubes seating all the way, I can work on patterning.

Anyone have any success with the factory full choke for the 11-87 with any particular load or should I get a new choke for this gun? It has a 28 inch barrel.

Chris

Hey Chris,

Robert gave you some excellent advice and I'm glad to hear that you were successful in getting that choke removed. Many times that's not the outcome. As Robert stated, there is probably a combination of rust and gunk that still remains in the threads in the muzzle. It will probably take a combination of soaking, brushing and patience to get a good outcome.

I'd recommend that you go to your local hardware store and get a steel bristled brush, the ones used in soldering and welding operations. The brush is maybe 4" long overall and they come in various diameters. They are great for cleaning threads in the muzzle area. I would soak that muzzle again, over night might be good, and then use that brush as if you were screwing in a choke tube and then reverse the process. That will help to remove they gunk. You'll probably need to repeat that whole process several times. You may want to buy a couple of those brushes. They are very inexpensive. The bristles are softer than the steel in your barrel but hard enough to work well.

Again, patience is the key to getting this work done.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SumToy

If you can't get it give me a call I tell you how to get out.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

simmonds

Clark, All, yes I'm very happy the choke is out. I stopped and got some wire brushes and have been cleaning the bore.  At this point, I am able to get the ported choke back in and to seat all the way.  Only problem is, it is pretty hard the last 1/3 of the way and is only possible with the ported choke cause I am able to put a metal rod through the port holes as leverage and get the choke back in all the way and seated. With the original Rem chokes, this isn't possible with the dinky choke tube wrench I got with the gun...just not enough torque. I will continue to clean the bore threads with the brushes and just work on it a little each day after more soaking in solvent. Hopefully, eventually I'll be able to easily seat all the chokes.  I compared the ported choke with the other Rem IC, M, and Full chokes and the ported one looks to be constricted at least as much as the Rem full, so maybe it has a good amount of choke already. Guess the only way to find out is to take it out with some loads and see how she performs.  Unfortunately, I was only able to find Remington Nitro Turkey loads, 3", 6's.  We'll just have to see how she does with those for now.

Chris

turkey_slayer

If you could run a tap through it to clean the threads that would be nice but I know nothing about choke tube thread size

allaboutshooting

Quote from: simmonds on March 23, 2013, 09:56:38 PM
Clark, All, yes I'm very happy the choke is out. I stopped and got some wire brushes and have been cleaning the bore.  At this point, I am able to get the ported choke back in and to seat all the way.  Only problem is, it is pretty hard the last 1/3 of the way and is only possible with the ported choke cause I am able to put a metal rod through the port holes as leverage and get the choke back in all the way and seated. With the original Rem chokes, this isn't possible with the dinky choke tube wrench I got with the gun...just not enough torque. I will continue to clean the bore threads with the brushes and just work on it a little each day after more soaking in solvent. Hopefully, eventually I'll be able to easily seat all the chokes.  I compared the ported choke with the other Rem IC, M, and Full chokes and the ported one looks to be constricted at least as much as the Rem full, so maybe it has a good amount of choke already. Guess the only way to find out is to take it out with some loads and see how she performs.  Unfortunately, I was only able to find Remington Nitro Turkey loads, 3", 6's.  We'll just have to see how she does with those for now.

Chris

Hey Chris,

With the barrel removed from the gun, you may be able to shine a light into the muzzle and see just how it looks in there. Since it's hard to get the final 1/3 of the choke installed, there may be a build-up of gunk or rust on the interior shoulder where the gas seal of the choke seats. You may need to use a pick to dislodge some of that, if the soaking and brushing don't work.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

R AJ

Also those last turns of the threads  is the area where the most shell residue would be on a loose choke. Some good solvent soaked into a rag and twisted up into the barrel over night might help.

Don't try to force those threads too much yet until you get all threads clean, A thin patch of 0000 steel wool wrapped around a bronze brush that is soaked in solvent or bore cleaner and slowly turned through that area can be of help.

Keep us informed please.

Rod Severns

Quote from: SumToy on March 23, 2013, 05:21:35 PM
If you can't get it give me a call I tell you how to get out.

Would it be possible to post on here your method of removing a stuck choke tube? I have a stuck flush choke tube in a Browning that refuses to come out.
Thanks

Old Gobbler

Chris , you lucky to get that choke out !! the hardest part is behind you indeed --You got some great tips and advise , you also scored a sweet deal on a 1187

The tip with the brush is a good one , just keep working away on it and it should free up , also make sure the chokes that you are putting into it do not have crossed or damaged threads ,but to me it sounds like the barrel has some issue with the first 1/4 of threading inside the barrel

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

CrustyRusty

You could buy a new barrel if you dont trust that one and still be way ahead.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: CrustyRusty on March 24, 2013, 10:13:10 AM
You could buy a new barrel if you dont trust that one and still be way ahead.

exactly what i was thinking
it's not the harvest,it's the chase