OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

No turkeys today but check this guy out.

Started by birdyhunter, March 22, 2013, 01:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limbstrutter

Quote from: Gumby on March 22, 2013, 06:22:40 PM
Mother will not reject the fawn

True. I cought one a few years ago and the little stinker was squealing llike crazy untill mom showed up and I let the little bugger down and it ran straight to her . She gave it a sniff and they both ran off togeather . It was awesome how she would run but yet wait for it to catch up...
SuperX3 12Ga
SuperX3 20Ga
Mission MXB 320
Parker Tornado F4

BigEz

There's a nice hardwood ridge on state land in western NY that I hunt that every year I almost step on a fawn hiding because they blend in so well.  I've even had one that I just stopped to look at for moment get up and follow me down the ridge for 50 yards, wobbling and stumbling along.  It was really neat to see but made me nervous with all the yotes around. 

Great pic also.  Not sure about the whole touching them and being rejected.  I've heard both sides of touching them but I'm willing to bet that its not a big deal.

eman375

I don't see any reason to touch wildlife in their natural state.  I'm not an expert and from what I'm reading in this thread, no one else is either. There are lots of opinions and hearsay but nothing that is proven fact.  Sure, take a picture, and that is a cute photo but I don't know why the picture couldn't have been taken of the fawn where you found it.  Maybe there isn't a thing wrong with it and maybe the result will be a net zero but I'm not sure what that does in the grand scheme of nature.  I know, I know, it's only one little deer but it should be remembered that there is a age old struggle between predator and prey.  Humans are predators and deer are prey.  Figger it out.  Sorry about getting on a soapbox but I think we can agree or agree to disagree on this forum. 

Gumby

I don't think you should handle them in their natural environment.  However, it is fact,  not conjecture, that she will not reject her young due to human scent.

RemingtonRules

Quote from: eman375 on March 23, 2013, 01:27:06 AM
I don't see any reason to touch wildlife in their natural state.  I'm not an expert and from what I'm reading in this thread, no one else is either. There are lots of opinions and hearsay but nothing that is proven fact.  Sure, take a picture, and that is a cute photo but I don't know why the picture couldn't have been taken of the fawn where you found it.  Maybe there isn't a thing wrong with it and maybe the result will be a net zero but I'm not sure what that does in the grand scheme of nature.  I know, I know, it's only one little deer but it should be remembered that there is a age old struggle between predator and prey.  Humans are predators and deer are prey.  Figger it out.  Sorry about getting on a soapbox but I think we can agree or agree to disagree on this forum.

x2 Why do people have to mess with stuff and take a goofy picture for their hey look at me facebook  page.  In Yellowstone there is a petrified tree that has to have an iron fence around it because people kept taking pieces of it.  Humans can sure screw with stuff.

That is all I have to say about that.

birdyhunter

I'm not sure where this thread went from being a cool day in the woods to oh my god this guy ruined nature but some of you guys need to relax. Nothing was harmed in the taking of this picture. If you don't want to handle wildlife on your property then don't do it. As for me this was the first time I have ever found a fawn and so I took the opportunity to snap a quick photo. No harm no foul and no need to be rude.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Gumby

captin_hook

BamaProud

Look at the bright side...if mama rejects it you still have a good snack. :)
Save the Little ones for the Little Ones.

longspur

My question is where did this 50% BS come from. And why should they rob me of my money that I worked for and give it to them.

birdyhunter

Quote from: longspur on March 24, 2013, 11:02:56 AM
My question is where did this 50% BS come from. And why should they rob me of my money that I worked for and give it to them.
agreed!

Uncle Tom

No harm done as many have stated already. Had one last spring out behind my house in this 3-4 acre field, bedded down in the middle ow tall grass. Very hot day and along about middle of day, we approached him and he got up and staggered off to edge of woods, but bedded back down. Later on his mom comes by and they mosey on down thru the woods, just doing their thing. Several in the family saw this and never touched him or for that matter got that close to him. Just enjoyed what Mother Nature can present your way and life goes on as intended.

Balla1982

Man did you guys see the antler shed in the background!!!  It's behind him on the right!

birdyhunter

Are you being serious? I can't find it.